Friday, June 23, 2017

How Good Is Your Taste?

I found this little quiz in a 1969 Reader's Digest booklet of puzzles. It purports to tell you if you have good taste in decorating. I figured it would be a breeze, but to my shock, I discovered that I have borderline BAD TASTE! ME!!!

Then I started thinking, well, maybe I DO have bad taste. I always thought I didn't, but it just may be that I can recognize a good piece of furniture, but don't have the gift for putting things together harmoniously.

To test this idea, I sent the quiz to my sister and asked her to take it. I figured if she passed, then I'd grudgingly admit that yes, I do have bad taste. But if she failed too, then the quiz was obviously junk, because we couldn't BOTH have bad taste! Especially as our mother had exquisite taste in decorating and clothes!

She just emailed me to say that she also failed the test! But her gay neighbour took it and he got 100%! So either this is a plot by decorators, or it really is true that gay men have the best taste in decorating and the rest of us should just give up.

Anyway, I'm posting it here for other people to take, so we can all test our decorating abilities. The test consists of several pairs of abstract designs, and you have to select the "best" one. The correct, tasteful answers are in the last picture; do the test first then check your results. I think it's best to take this test when you're feeling relaxed and calm; hurrying through it might give a poor result. Good luck!






Scroll down for the answers:









5 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

How funny. It is a sort of "art aptitude" test I think, rather than a decorating test. It is just testing knowledge of "composition" in art: elements of design, principles of organization, and compositional techniques: https://infogalactic.com/info/Composition_(visual_arts)

People who have taken art classes or studied art/design will do well, even if they have lousy decorating taste. Think: the person who drew those awful shapes in the first place... LOL

And people who don't do well with this test probably have a lovely sense for eclectic decor and an excellent feel for traditional decorating. Which would be you, from what I have seen here on your blog over the years.

My mother is an artist, and taught us this stuff. I only missed one: I chose 5B instead of 5A. I preferred the separation of color 2/2 with 4 diff shapes (also 2/2 in basic pattern - 2 rounded, 2 linear) to the 3/1 color that included 2 duplicate designs in opposing colors. If it had been the single linear shape that was black, rather than one of the 3 rounded shapes, I would have preferred that one.

I do not have her talent, but I can draw if I go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y And when it comes to decorating... let's just say I'm electic LOL

10:21 am  
Blogger Wanda Sherratt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:56 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I discovered later that this was a condensed version of a much longer set of questions, published in 1946, I believe. And you're right, it was intended for testing art students. I think that the abstract nature of the designs put me at a disadvantage from the start. I can appreciate abstract designs when they're applied to something, like a piece of furniture or a building frieze, but just on their own, they're a bit off-putting. I'd have much preferred a test that asks one to judge which flower arrangement or garden design is more tasteful!

1:56 pm  
Blogger Tina said...

1946! The height of what we now call "Mid Century Design". No wonder they were pushing the abstract shapes.

I agree with you. Abstract items without context just look random ... and not a good random either. We bought & sold a lot of mid-century dinnerware & household items back when we were in the antiques business, and Russel Wright etc eventually grew on me, but those dishes still only look good when seen all together (I think). When we first started learning about it, I thought it was all the ugliest stuff I had ever seen.

4:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After learning the full facts, I am embarrassed to say I scored a 9.

Jackie

5:33 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home