Monday, May 20, 2013

Garden pictures

I finally got around to taking some pictures of the garden.  It's early in the season, but later on the contrast will be striking.

First, the potato patch:


I've planted 120 potato plants, and today I covered the entire area with bio-degradable  mulch.  It looks like plastic, but it's made of corn products.  I've used it before, among my tomato plants, but this is the first time I've tried it with the potatoes.  When the plants start to come up, I'll cut holes for them to emerge, and poke some holes for water to get down to the plants.  Mostly, I want to block all the weeds that constantly form in the lanes between the rows.  I've got bags of shredded dry leaves in the shed, and they help a lot, but the weeds still find their way into the garden.  Plus, I don't apply the leaves until the potato plants get to be about a foot high.  Now I hope that the dry leaves on top of the black mulch will block the weeds AND protect the potatoes from exposure to the sun.

Way at the back are also two hills, where I've planted canteloup and butternut squash.  Later on, at the very back, I'm going to plant garden huckleberries.


This is the "old" garden; I'm going to plant tomatoes and jalapeno peppers here, but the plants are still too small.  The rhubarb is at the end, and that's an apple tree at the back.  The teepee is for pole beans; must get those seeds planted soon.


This is my pink currant bush.  Doing very well this year!  The red and black currants are behind it, and the raspberries are hidden on the right hand side - they're still only about a foot high.


Another currant bush, propagated from the main one, which I transplanted up among the flowers.  Those are columbines and forget-me-nots growing in front of it.


The deck, with the lilac bush in full bloom behind it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

everything looks so pretty! I love the lilac bush. My grandmother had a white lilac that was too finicky to bloom often, so she talked about it all the time. Now I think of her whenever lilacs bloom.

I have some things planted, and need to plant squash and melons and okra. The tiny grasshoppers are emerging by the thousands so I fear for my garden.

I didn't post on the rhubarb piece but did want to praise that gorgeous pie. Your pies always look amazing! Mine are somewhat improved since I began following your advice on crimping the crust, so thank you for that. :-)

3:01 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

It always seems that the best lilac bushes are devil-may-care, neglected things growing along the roads or up in some common area, like a power line! I'm always hovering over mine, hoping that it'll do well. That one by the deck was originally way at the bottom of the garden next to the fence. It was alive, but wouldn't grow - I think it was sort of stuck at 2' high, pretty much the way it came from the nursery. I dug it up and moved it to the deck area, and it obviously LOVES it up nearer the house, because it's now about 7' tall. The soil is better, and there's less competition from tree roots. Two others are still down at the bottom of the garden, on the right hand side, and I guess they get enough light down there because they're doing quite well.

Grasshoppers! Yikes! I just saw some aphids on my roses yesterday and sprayed them with the last of my insecticidal spray. It's been pretty cool here, and I think they like that sort of weather.

3:09 pm  
Blogger Tina said...

If I ever get brave enough to plant a lilac bush I will remember to just dig it up and move it until it grows~ :-D

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home