Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"I wasted time, and now doth time waste me"

On the radio this morning, I heard the morning lady describe the effect on the Boston Marathon bombings on her little girl.  The child was worried, asking questions like "Why would someone do this?"  Naturally, the parents reassured her that she was safe at home and nothing bad would happen to her.

But one phrase really made me wince: the lady said she and her husband hadn't told the little girl about this when it first happened on Monday.  Actually, they'd tried not to tell her at all, but the news was everywhere and finally the child realized that something bad had happened and began to ask questions, which had to be answered.

"We'd hoped we wouldn't have to tell her about things like this," said the mother.

Twelve years after 9/11, and this is how we've employed the time: by studiously ignoring unpleasant reality and hoping that terrorism would just float harmlessly over our heads and never land on earth to damage us.  When the news reports ground into action again on Monday, I couldn't even feel shock anymore.  All I could think was, "Well, I guess we're just going to replay the last 12 years again, because we've done absolutely nothing to produce a different result from what occurred on 9/11/01"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home