Saturday, August 18, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me

Well, here it is again, my birthday. Today I'm 53. Dean and Emma gave me a lovely bag of various body washes and soaps - if I can keep them out of James's hands, they'll last for months!

It started out as a low-key day, with the only cloud on the horizon being that I appear to have lost my house keys. They're not keys for the outside door, but 3 interior doors - laundry room, cold cellar (where the main water shutoff valve is) and the spare room which is now being used as an office. Dean has keys to the spare room and the laundry room, but somehow NOBODY seems to have a key to the cold cellar. Dean might have one at the office, but we'll have to wait until Monday to find out.

Anyway, that was a slight ruffle on the surface of the pond, but I went to Canadian Tire at about 9:30 to get the 2 keys we had duplicated, and also pick up some more canning jars. As I can't get into the cold cellar, I don't have access to the empty jam jars in there, and I have to buy some more so I can make some jam and antipasto over the next few days. It's annoying, but not a big deal; I'd eventually have to get more jars anyway, as we are continually giving away preserves.

As I was checking out, the cashier remarked that it's already August 18, and I laughed and said that it's my birthday. She wished me happy birthday and we laughed, and I was still smiling when I suddenly realized something. Yes, it's my birthday, and that means that TODAY is the day my driver's license expires! Also my health card! Oh yes, they'd sent me a notice 2 months ago, but as is typical for me, I figured that I had all the time in the world to take care of it. But I just forgot, and ended up today on the last day, with no time left.

I drove home in a daze. After today, I'd have an expired license...ME! And I'm a professional driver! What was I going to do? It's Saturday, and government offices are closed on the weekend, so I was doomed.

But as a faint hope, I got home and rushed to the computer to look up "Renewal of driver's license" under the Ontario government page, and checked the hours of the MV office where I usually get it done. Miracle of miracles, they were actually open from 10:00 to 1:00 on Saturdays! No doubt for people who can't get there during the week, ergo the place was bound to be packed, but I didn't care. You couldn't see me for the dust as I raced off with all my papers, warning Dean that this would probably take about 2 hours.

To my astonishment, there was almost no line - I barely sat down when my number was called, and the very efficient lady at the desk processed my driver's license, health card AND motor vehicle registration renewal in about 6 minutes. I couldn't believe it; last year when I went (first thing in the morning on a weekday) there was a 30+ minute wait! I'll have to go on Saturday again next year if this is typical.

So my day wasn't exactly the serene birthday I was hoping for, but considering how much worse I thought it was going to be, it actually turned out pretty good. Now if we can just find the key to that last door, we'll be in clover.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Happy Birthday! I have it on good authority that 53 is a Very Good Year. May God bless you with a year's worth of no-waiting, nice people, and everything-working-out goodness. :-)

7:09 pm  
Blogger Priscilla said...

click here:
Happy Birthday

8:49 pm  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Looks like my link doesn't work on your blog, sorry. Here is a regular link:
http://pwsnwjournal.blogspot.com/2012/08/happy-birthday-wanda.html

11:29 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Thanks!

3:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home