Monday, August 01, 2011

Off they go

Well, the birds left suddenly last week. I checked the nest one morning and found that one baby was gone - I was very worried, and looked on the ground, but there was no sign of it. I thought maybe it had fallen out and been eaten. But by the end of the day, ALL of them were gone. I looked up robin lifecycle online and found that baby birds jump out of the nest at the age of 13 days! I was so disappointed - I'd assumed that they'd be around for weeks, learning to fly, but it happens very quickly. Now they've gone and there's just a bare nest left behind. They were so entertaining. Here's the last picture I got, on the day they left:

2 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

What a lovely, but short-lived, experience.

6:53 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yeah - it's not like the slow, day-by-day process of watching plants grow and mature. But it was very exciting while it was happening; maybe we'll be lucky and the parent birds might try for a second clutch of eggs. Though I probably spooked them by hanging around their nest and peeking at them through the window.

9:03 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home