Friday, August 12, 2011

It's here!

My autographed copy of After America finally arrived today! Now I can start reading it, though it's butting up against another project: I'm translating and making subtitles for Le Capitaine Fracasse, a 1943 movie by Abel Gance. The movie was based on the 19th century novel of the same name by Gauthier, and I'm trying to READ the novel while I translate the movie. It's not that useful, because Gance does things his own way, so it's not the most precise adaptation. The broad story is the same, but he pretty much rewrote the entire dialogue and invented all sorts of amusing scenes around the bare skeleton of the original. August is "French Cinema Under the Occupation" month, so I want to finish the subtitles by the end of the month - not so easy when I can't get extended time at the computer, but I'll do my best.

It's actually not such a bad little movie - it's pretty much dismissed as pure escapism, but who wouldn't want to escape into "good dreams - cheap!" as the Pedant in the story puts it. It's the story of an impoverished young Gascon nobleman in the 1600s who runs away and joins a band of strolling actors. He falls in love with the ingenue of the company, but the villainous Duke de Vallombreuse takes a fancy to her and abducts her, so our hero has to rescue her. There's a subplot about the girl's real identity, as well, and lots of background scenes of life as an actor in the age of Louis XIII, as well as sword-fighting and intrigue. And I think there's a fair bit of Gance's own experience as a starving young actor in it. Anyway, it's not a masterpiece, but poor Gance only made a few of those; despite his phenomenal talent he didn't have much control over his projects as time passed, rather like Fritz Lang in Hollywood. But it's still fun, and there are some challenging passages written in rhyming alexandrines, like 'Cyrano de Bergerac' - I'll have to think hard to come up with some English rhymes.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bob Shair said...

I'm looking for English subtitles for Le Capitaine Fracasse. How's it going?

Bob Shair rmshair@yahoo.com

3:30 am  
Blogger Tomáš Jelen said...

Hi there, I'm searching the internet for english subtitles to this movie, but noone seems to have it. Have you translated them eventually?

4:08 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yes, I did finish the subtitles. Would you like me to send you the .srt file?

5:16 pm  
Blogger Wilhelm Friedkinheim said...

Hi. I'd be glad if You would send me english subtitles for Gance's movie. I care very much.
Greetings.

12:58 pm  
Blogger Wilhelm Friedkinheim said...

Hi. I'd be glad if You would send me english subtitles for Gance's movie. I care very much.
Greetings.

12:58 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I've uploaded them to mediafire, if you're still interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/rz01oqxg7inno81/Fr_-_Le_capitaine_Fracasse_(1943)_-_De_Abel_Gance_-_(Film_DivX_Aventures_Action_Classique_Culte_Mythique_N%26B_par_Yoda)

I don't think I originally gave them that lengthy title; someone must have reuploaded them and renamed them. Anyway, this is the .srt file that goes with the .avi rip I used. I hope you find them useful!

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home