Friday, August 19, 2011

Another birthday

My 52nd birthday yesterday. I'm getting very decrepit - I think I'm getting the first twinges of arthritis in my thumb and forefinger, and I've developed a painful cramp in my right leg. I think it's a mental thing, actually - anxiety because the new school year is about to start and I'll be driving again, and I'm the worrying kind. Sometimes the leg is fine, then I'll think about driving and it seizes up again - I'm sure it's just tense muscles, but I wish I could just unthink the tension, because it hurts!

Dean gave me a very nice assortment of soaps and bath products, and Emma gave me a bead bracelet and a box of fudge from her new favorite shop downtown. I made a peach pie for dessert, but can you believe it, Dean and I drank a bottle of champagne and forgot all about it! I'm not used to drinking anymore, and 2 glasses left me feeling positively looped. But it was a good preparation for watching the MST3K episode "Riding With Death" - it's only on my birthday that Dean would agree to watch that episode, because it's SO incredibly lame, but I love all the banter between Mike and the bots.

4 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Well, Happy Birthday - for what it's worth. ...and now the aches and pains begin.
One good thing about getting older, people tend to give you more credence.
Anyway, congratulations.

10:07 am  
Anonymous Pageantmaster said...

Happy belated birthday Dr Mabuse. I will be 52 next month so I know what you mean about the aches and pains. More disturbingly in my 50's I find myself discussing my ailments - I am turning into my parents. What can I do doctor - is there something I can do to avoid this awful progressive fate?

7:38 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

We're ALL turning into our parents! "Welcome Back Kotter" was a terrible show, but it did have a few funny moments, one of which was Gabe Kotter climbing out of bed with a loud groan, then exclaiming, "My father used to make that noise when he got out of bed, and I always hated it! I'm making my father's noise!" Then as he hobbles a few steps, he adds, "And this is my father's walk!" I don't know what to do. It's useless to complain to our kids. The best thing is to have a younger sibling, and terrify them with advance alarms of what's waiting for them just a few years down the road.

12:44 pm  
Anonymous Pageantmaster said...

That is sterling advice, Dr Mabuse - I have a younger sibling and can't wait to try it out.

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home