Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The terrible, terrible Sunday

Even around the Kraal, which can boast a collection of disasters few can rival, Sunday was a memorable day. We ended up with THREE blocked toilets, thanks to James (I think Thomas the Tank Engine toys were the culprits, in at least one case - they're now banned from the house). I was struggling to unblock one of the upstairs toilets when I must have caught something in the pipe and pulled too hard, because I managed to actually rupture the drain pipe! Water began POURING through the ceiling immediately below - horrible, horrible dirty toilet water. We didn't actually know at that point what had happened, but in desperation I shut off all the water to the house. The water still kept coming - emptying out the entire pipe and toilet bowl, I suppose, and the same pipe empties BOTH upstairs toilets, so for all I know we were getting the effluent from both clogged toilets coming through the ceiling.

I must say, I had serious words with God over this - I'm not the Patient Griselda type, and I figured this treatment was quite intolerable.

Dean finally scrounged up a plumber who could make an emergency call on a holiday weekend, and I decided to take James out in the van to get him out from underfoot while all the plumbing was going on. We drove to Value Village and I got him a Scooby Doo stuffed toy plus a bathing suit for camp, then we took a leisurely drive to the other side of town to pass by Hawthorne School, which has become his current obsession. We finished up at Best Buy, where we bought a dvd, then decided to head home.

The car wouldn't start.

Either this was my punishment for complaining, or God's way of getting the last word - it definitely worked, because I'd exhausted my store of reproaches during the toilet fiasco and couldn't think of anything else to say.

I called a 1-800 number for emergency roadside assistance that had been provided when I bought the van; of course it was long expired, but they offered me a year's coverage for $69, so I took it and they dispatched a tow truck. I called Dean, and when the plumber finally left I asked him to come in a taxi and take James home - I had to wait over 1.5 hours for the tow truck, the stores around were all closed as it was almost 6:30, and James was getting increasingly perplexed and irritable, so I figured it was best to get him home first and then figure out what to do with the car.

When the tow truck finally arrived, he managed to boost the engine and get it started again, so I was able to drive it home. I was hoping I'd drained it by leaving the fog lights on or something, but the next morning the engine was dead again, so I called another tow truck, they got it started and I took it to the garage, where it is now. Dead battery; the van's a 2002 Pontiac Montana, which is pretty old. I guess batteries eventually give out, so they're going to replace that. Of course a number of other things are wrong with it too, but they can wait until September or so, and then I'll get them taken care of one at a time.

Naturally, this all happens just as we're buying a new central air conditioner, which will come on Thursday; too late to save us from the current heat wave, but by the end of the week hopefully we'll be able to get a decent night's sleep in a cool house.

3 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Sorry to hear you had such a trying time. If it isn't one thing it's another. I hate to rub salt and that, but here in Oregon we've had great weather all spring. Nothing over 70℉. I wouldn't mind it lasting for several more months. The 4 of July is over and I've had enough Summer. I'm ready for Autumn. Sleeping has been fine, except for staying awake late due to World War III last night.
Now go talk nicely to God and hope your week goes more smoothly.

1:47 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

(Grumble, grumble, *&@## when's someone going to talk nicely to me...[LOUD SIGH]...Okaaaaaaay...sorry, God. Can we be friends again?)

Ah, that mild western climate! Just like Vancouver, though this year I hear they've had a cold, wet spring and early summer.

8:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. When it rains it pours. Guess that was too much of a pun.

In any event, I hope life has returned to normal.

Good to see you blogging again.

Jackie

10:03 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home