Sunday, January 02, 2011

Starting 2011

Christmas holidays almost over, and it's been quite nice the past two weeks. James was so insistent for holidays to start and Christmas to come, but now he's a little bored, and is already asking to go back to school. I won't argue with him - it'll be nice to have a quiet house again, and access to the computer from time to time. My holidays tend to start when the kids' end.

Dean gave me a delightful present this year: a LAMINATOR! Now I can not only laminate James's favourite pictures so they don't get lost or torn, but I can also plastic-coat my favourite recipes so they don't get stained and ragged. As usual, I had to cut the picture of the machine out of the paper a week before Christmas and give it to Dean; he never can do the "surprise" thing, and if I don't think of something myself in advance, he'll be asking me, "Uhhh, what would you like for Christmas?" on December 22. Once the kids go back to school I'll get busy laminating some of my favourite recipe cards; I've already tested the machine with my recipe for Texas Brownies and a new one I tried over the holidays: Pumpkin Cheesecake.

A few weeks ago I was in the drugstore waiting for a prescription to be filled, and wandered over to the newsstand where I spotted an entire magazine of cheesecake recipes. I shouldn't have, but they looked so good I bought the magazine, and since then I've been itching to try out some of the recipes. The pumpkin one was a great success, but I tried another one for peanut-butter cheesecake and it was too sweet. There's this rhubarb one I'll try in the spring, but now Dean is asking me to just make the plain old cheesecake I used to to make. I tried yesterday, but discovered I needed a lemon, and went out on a quest for one single lemon. Of course, being New Year's Day, my endeavours were fruitless (har har) so I think I might do it today.

Thomas and James have gone out for a day of respite with one of their teachers, and so Dean, Emma and I are planning to go see a movie - "The King's Speech", which I've read good things about. It must be having a very limited release in Canada, however, because I think it opened here just before Christmas and it's only at 3 theatres in town.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Two thumbs up for the laminator! Always enjoy your cooking & garden posts - that rhubarb cheesecake sounds like something Paul would like.

Here's hoping 2011 will be a great year for you and yours. :-)

1:41 pm  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Oh what a treat to see your name pop up on my google reader.
A laminator sounds like a great thing for you to have and use. I love finding interesting uses for technology.
I have finally begun scanning all the family photos. I have peen promising myself I would do this ever since I bought the new all-in-one machine. I want to get them all done, put on discs, and on-line, so that they will be safe. I will make a set for both daughters. It took one whole morning to do one half of one album! Oh, well, I will eventually get them all done and have more room in my storage space. I estimate it will take about one year at this pace.
I hope your life is not as stressful as it was earlier. I continue to pray for your strength to cope and that you will find time for joy.

5:46 pm  
Blogger TLF+ said...

Happy New Year! That laminator is a tool that only a)cooks and b)parents of special needs kids will truly appreciate.

Our guy goes back to school tomorrow, too. All parties welcome that.

7:45 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yes, I am feeling better now, thanks! Maybe it helps just having had a long 2 weeks off work - not having to wake up at a certain time can be very liberating.

Scanning photos is an excellent idea, and once they're digitized you can not only make many copies for everyone interested, you can keep the file safe on a standalone hard drive, to eliminate the risk of losing them for good. What we have is a big collection of SLIDES, dating all the way back to my mom's days before she was married, and with baby pictures of my sister and me and various cousins through the years. I'd like to find a way to transfer those to digital format, because they're fragile and difficult to store. When I was young, we used to have "slide night' once a year or so, and it was a big occasion to haul out the projector and the screen for an evening of reminiscing. I miss those events, but I'm really more worried that the remaining slides will be destroyed, so I should try some way to preserve them.

9:14 am  
Blogger Charlie Sutton said...

Our local pharmacy sells a machine that scans slides (and prints, too, I think) and there are also shops that will do it for you. I think the machine I saw for sale is about $70 US. I have a number of slides I want scanned; I am not sure whether to get the machine or to send them out - but if you have hundreds, doing them yourself would be cheaper.

Nice to see a post from you! I always enjoy your writing.

3:31 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home