Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ear worms

There's no hope for me now, because I have an ear worm - that's one of those tunes that gets stuck in your mind and plays over and over.

This one is particularly bad: it's the opening theme to Rocket Robin Hood, a cartoon I used to watch when I was little.

When I looked it up on YouTube, I was astonished to discover that it was a CANADIAN cartoon - produced by Trillium Productions, which should have told me all I need to know (the trillium is Ontario's official flower). This is why the only Americans who know of it are those who grew up along the U.S.-Canada border, and were able to receive Canadian TV signals. Apparently it also was shown in the U.K. - one of the advantages of belonging to the Commonwealth, I suppose!) This cartoon was typically shown on Sundays - Saturdays were for the lavish American cartoons. It's odd, but I can't remember any actual episodes of Rocket Robin Hood; I clearly remember the little "intervals", where characters like Prince John and Friar Tuck were introduced, but the episodes themselves have vanished from my memory completely.

When I mentioned this to Dean, we got into a dispute over which cartoon was worse, Rocket Robin Hood or another Canadian cartoon, The Mighty Hercules:

This also has a catchy opening tune, though the lyrics sound a little funny today. It's bad enough to have to listen to "Softness in his eyes,/Iron in his thighs," but I had to convince Dean that an earlier line was "With the strength of ten/Ordinary men" not "the length".

4 Comments:

Blogger RMBruton said...

I once had an ear worm which had me spending the better part of a long bust trip trying to recall the melody for the theme of the t.v. program The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

9:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigosh-- Rocket Robin Hood! They were playing episodes on Teletoon Retro a few months back, and did it ever take me back down Memory Lane.

Yes it was made in canada, but under the direction of Ralph Bakshi. He was also responsible for hiring a bunch of acid-popping artists to do the backgrounds (this was the 70s remember), which explains why the later seasons had such a trippy psychedelic look...

Ellie M.

10:17 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yeah, those lurid backgrounds really have dated! I preferred the earlier season, with the staid, rather green palette, but the clip on YouTube wasn't embeddable (if that's a word), so here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfisiGqtEM

I must say, some of those TV shows back in the 60s and 70s had really cool theme music! Here's someone on YouTube who's uploaded a whole bunch: http://www.youtube.com/user/sunfilling#g/u How about 'Mission Impossible'? And I even like 'The Wild Wild West' - very catchy and Coplandish.

12:26 pm  
Blogger commoncents said...

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I always love visiting your blog...

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

2:43 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home