Thursday, July 01, 2010

The spice of life

I haven't written recently about the kids and their entertaining activities. Well, the other day James took a look at one of the kitchen cupboards and noticed that there were several boxes and bags of spices up there that might be useful in one of his games. I've mentioned before, he likes to dump out powders and run trains through them - a sort of re-enactment of Thomas the Tank Engine going through snowdrifts and avalanches.

He hasn't done this for a long time, so I became less vigilant, and started putting frequently-used spices in the cupboard instead of out in the fridge in the garage, which is our usual secure place. Naturally, he showed me that time has not completely smoothed out his rough edges, and he decided to play his old game again.

For some reason, he didn't take ALL the powdered spices out of the cupboard - from what I could gather after sweeping and vacuuming up later, he focussed on turmeric (loves that bright yellow color), cumin, paprika, cayenne and black pepper. As you can imagine, this produced quite a sneeze-worthy mess in the TV room, where the powders were liberally scattered over the fireplace mantle. It had one further effect on James himself...

Oh, I forgot to mention: he did all this in the nude.

So when he came up to me later complaining about "peeper hot", I guess you could say that this would be a classic case of "burning sensation while urinating", only it was self-inflicted.

Well, what could I do? After the first "Serve you right!" which naturally made no impression on him whatsoever, I located a bottle of Solarcaine gel, for the relief of sunburn and itchy mosquito bites. I told him flatly "No, I am NOT going to apply it! Here, do it yourself." And it seemed to do the trick. I don't suppose Solarcaine would want to use this as an endorsement, but there it is, for what it's worth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aggie said...

The visual images of possible scenarios boggles my mind! I can't wait to see what our grandson (11mo) is going to do to top THAT! ;>)

hehe

God Bless Ya'll!

Aggie, Class of '70
An Anglican Firearms "Enthusiast" (ie: Gun Nut)
www.ananglicangn.blogspot.com/

8:41 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Just keep the Solarcaine handy - you can't go wrong!

7:57 am  
Blogger 1389 said...

The adult version of this is as follows: Be sure to put on rubber gloves before you begin you cut up fresh jalapeno peppers in the kitchen.

That way, you can remove the rubber gloves - and the capsaicin along with them - from your hands before you go to the bathroom!

12:31 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home