Sunday, January 17, 2010

I'll take 'Things Ending in '-oscopy'' for 100, Alex

One of the delights of passing the magic age of 50 is that your doctor will suddenly sign you up as a candidate for all sorts of new tests. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning at 8:30. Why? Because I'm the right age for it! It's just a way of screening for colon cancer, which is a good thing, of course, but it's not the easiest thing in the world. But I figured, why not do a thorough check the first time around, and then if everything is OK, I can probably get by with annual specimen samples.

There is a multi-day preparation involved, starting on Wednesday, when I stopped eating anything with seeds, including tomatoes and cucumbers. Supper last night was my last solid food until this is over, and I had to take two Dulco-Lax tablets before going to bed. I'll vouch for the "-Lax" part; a little less emphasis on the "Dulco", though. Nothing but clear liquids today and tomorrow until the procedure is over. That's not so bad, but I've also got to take 2 packets of something called Pico-Salax, dissolved in water. This works the same way as Dulco-Lax...only more. I had the second dose of the magic elixir at 6:00, and if this keeps up much longer, my colon is going to be inside-out. I think I'm going to head to bed soon, and hope I can get through the night without interruptions.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

LOL Ok Doc I think you are getting dangerously close to the "too much info" line! Makes me scared to even contemplate a check up. I hope you slept well and that the testing went fine and without incident.

The remarkable Julian of Norwich wrote something about how God provides for our needs even in regulating our internal plumbing.
"A man goyth vppe ryght and the soule of his body is sparyde [closed], as a purse fulle feyer. And whan it is tyme of his nescessery, it is openyde and sparyde ayen [again] fulle honestly. And that it is he that doyth this it is schewed ther wher he seyth, he comyth downe to vs to the lowest parte of oure nede"


Tina
Pecan Corner

11:59 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I think you're right, Tina; I won't do it again! And fortunately, it all went very smoothly, with no sign of any trouble, so I should not be up for this little adventure for several years more. It had just taken up so much of my past week, it was difficult to think of anything else to write about!

2:57 pm  
Anonymous Sibyl said...

Dave Barry wrote about his colonoscopy experience and it is a hoot!

So glad you had a good test result.

11:27 pm  
Blogger The Underground Pewster said...

I credit the Lord who blessed you with a clean colon and a safe outcome.

One of the remarkable things about a colonoscopy is going to sleep undressed and waking up dressed.

An other interesting factoid is that despite all their complaints about the prep, most people cannot recall the year that their colonoscopy was done, and many cannot recall the name of the doctor despite the intimacy of their encounter.

9:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home