Tuesday, August 04, 2009

State slogans

I went to bed giggling last night, after reading Mark Steyn's series of posts in The Corner regarding state slogans. He started with a story from his home state of New Hampshire:
As to New Hampshire, a couple of years back some executive dingbat paid a gazillion dollars to some marketing agency to come up with a tourist slogan. What do you get for that kind of expenditure? Six words: "You're going to love it here!"

They put it on a sign on I-93 as you cross over from Massachusetts. There was a huge objection to this seven-figure insipid generic pap, and within weeks it had been replaced with "Live free or die!"
This produced a further post, with a letter from a correspondent about the silly tourism slogan legislators paid good money for in Kansas:
Out here in Kansas we were fortunate enough to be rebranded for a mere $1.7 million down payment. We’re no longer the land of Oz, wheat, and Dodge City, now we are “Kansas: As Big as You Think”. Which is a pretty horrible slogan as it seems to imply that our geographic boundaries are relative to the cognitive abilities of a person pondering the size of Kansas.
But it was the third post that really got me laughing:
A reader writes:
Here in Washington state, a couple of years ago Olympia paid big money to come up with a new state motto. Their contribution: "Say Wa!"
I kinda like that one. Maybe the template will catch on: "Like, DE!" "What The FL?" "PA Humbug!" "The Ego Of ID!" "It's All About ME!" "Here's MD In Your Eye!" "Best VT Forward!" "OK Aye The Noo!" "The End Is NY!" "WY Bother?"
In fact, I even made up a few of my own:
Made it, MA! Top of the world!
Oh, what a tangled web we WV!
Oy, VA!
SCs to be you!
NJ, NJ, wink wink
I'm going to try to come up with one for every state in the Union.

UPDATE: A few more:

NM from the neck up!
AZ you were!
Catch her in the RI!
KS, my ass!

10 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Hi Doc,
When we lived in TX we used to rib the Okies up north of us because their license tags had, "Oklahoma is OK" on them. The joke went around that the only reason it said "OK" was they couldn't spell "mediocre"!

12:18 pm  
Anonymous Christopher Johnson said...

Well before US state slogans were formalized, Missouri used to be known as the Puke State and the residents of my state known as Pukes. Which delights me no end that the name didn't get attached to the state university sports teams the way they did in Indiana, Michigan and other places because I don't even want to think about what the school colors might have turned out to be.

4:12 pm  
Blogger TLF+ said...

Hmmm. Maybe,

"At the Missouri River you're half aSD."

I dunno I'm tired. We've got "Great Faces, Great Places" which isn't bad for the Rushmore State.

11:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Weird AL"

(I can say that legitimately)

NY not?
TN fried chicken
SC how it turns out
NC I told ya
MS ya when ya gone

;-)

8:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just say HI!

5:48 pm  
Anonymous Gregg the Obscure said...

Tennis NE one?
HI good lookin'
FL 'er up?
IN the mood
OH great!

5:51 pm  
Blogger Diane said...

LOL, Chris Johnson--maybe they meant Puce State? ;)

Shortly before we moved to Louisiana in the '80s, its slogan was "The Dream State," which I thought was pretty cool, actually. I remember one ad depicting a misty, romantic bayou, complete with cypress trees dripping Spanish moss -- "The Dream State" fit this image to a T.

However, apparently some wags were making sport of this tag-line. (The idea!!!) T-shirt shops in the French Quarter were selling tees bearing the legend, "The Wet Dream State." That sort of thing.

So, the state government paid an ad agency a bunch of moolah to come up with an alternative. The result? "Louisiana. A State of Excitement."

Yeah, that's a real improvement. ;)

7:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently saw the following on Internet Oracle:

Q: Will Delaware her New Jersey?

A: Ohio,
New Jersey? Alaska.

7:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I moved to Indiana in the late 80s, they used "Wander Indiana" on license plates and in tourism commercials. When I pointed out how ridiculous this was to my future wife, a life-long Hoosier, she told me that one of the slogans the state was seriously considering was "The Thriller State," since Michael Jackson was from Gary.

Dave

11:43 pm  
Anonymous Sibyl said...

ND on my watch!

ND a chance!

Dr. M., please skip South Dakota - you could get hauled up by the HR crew.

11:29 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home