Saturday, June 27, 2009

Congratulations, Emma!


A big day on Wednesday - Emma graduated from high school! It's been a long journey, 13 years slogging through various public school systems to get her this far, but she did a good job. She even won a silver medal for having over 90% in her top 6 Grade 12 subjects, and she was top of the class in the Child Care and Gerontology class she took this last semester.

In the morning I took her to get her hair done, and we went to the school at 1:00 for a 2:00 start. Dean stayed home with James and Thomas, as their classes had ended the day before. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way things are - we can never attend anything together, it's always one goes, the other stays at home with the boys.  But I took a good number of pictures (until the batteries ran out in the camera).

It was a long ceremony, held in the school auditorium, and on one of the hottest days of the year so far. I'm trying not to complain, because I was so grumpy a month ago about how cold and wet our spring was, but it was DAMN hot. It got hotter and hotter as the 90+ minutes went by - thank goodness I wore a cotton dress! Once it was over, Emma came down to meet me as I was inching my way up the aisle with the rest of the crowd. She wanted to dawdle and look around for people she knew, but I just had to get out of that hall, because I was starting to feel faint. It may have been 90C in the lobby, but that was better than 95C in the auditorium!

It took so long because every single one of the 155 graduates had to get a round of applause as they came up! Very badly managed. As they came to the stage in groups of 10, we should have applauded once they all had their diplomas, but this is how it was done, which probably doubled the length of the ceremony. I also must say, I've never been in a worse-behaved crowd for such an occasion. Even though the principal twice asked people to keep the volume down, because there were grandparents there and people with hearing aids, it made no difference at all. Friends and family members all yelled, hooted, whistled, bellowed, and lu-lu-lued when their precious kid came up. I guess I should be grateful they weren't firing off AK47s at the ceiling - maybe in a few more years. I couldn't believe such an absence of decorum. (crotchety geezer voice) Why back in my day, if the authority figure - the principal, no less - had told us to keep quiet and we'd gone ahead and hooted and whistled anyway, our parents would have dragged us out of that hall so fast you wouldn't have seen us for the dust. I probably would have been made to write letters of apology to every teacher present, and I wouldn't have heard the end of it for a month.

Now she's looking forward to visiting her great-aunts in Victoria next month, then she'll be attending college in the fall, studying Professional Writing.

9 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Please tell Emma that she has a fan in Oregon who is very happy she did so well. She has a wonder future to look forward to. Her big trip and then the next adventure - college! Lovely picture.
Mom, congratulations.

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful daughter you have! Congratulations to her, and to her college career!

Job Well Done!

9:29 pm  
Blogger Kasia said...

Congratulations to Emma, and to her parents as well for raising her so well! :-)

10:01 pm  
Blogger Aggie said...

Emma: Congratulations on graduating!

Dr. Mabuse: Congratulations to YOU on one of the best things a parent can do! Teach a child to LIVE.

Both of you - Step back, take a breath & enjoy the moment.

Onward Christian Soldiers!

God Bless Ya'll!

Aggie, Class of '70
An Anglican Firearms "Enthusiast" (ie: Gun Nut)
www.ananglicangn.blogspot.com/

8:33 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Aw, thank you all! I really appreciate it. I feel like such a hovering hen sometimes, it's hard to believe that we've actually come to the end of this long trip through school and adolescence - it's nice.

11:41 am  
Anonymous Georgia in Florida said...

What a beautiful smile - the glow of success and joy of a job well done!

Congratulations and blessings for your future, Emma.

12:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never have guessed you to have a child old enough to graduate. You write so young! (how's that for bad grammar?). I would have guess you are in your mid-30s.

Perhaps you are, and that's a story we haven't been told?
--NBS

8:56 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

No, NBS, to quote my mother, "I'm damn near 50 years old!" This was something she used to say whenever telling us lazy kids to do some unpleasant work - if she could do it, at her age, so could we! I was so happy when she finally turned 50, because I figured I'd never have to hear that phrase again. But she fooled us; she immediately changed the phrase to "I can do it, and I'm 50 years old, dammit!" Couldn't win.

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Christopher Johnson said...

Way to go, Emma!! And Mom too, I guess. :-)

3:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home