Saturday, March 07, 2009

Request for computer help

I was so taken with the video montage from Chandu The Magician that I linked to a few weeks ago, I decided I'd like to make my own. I've got a great B-movie with lots of good photography lined up, I've saved it to the hard drive in .mpg format, and I've even found the music I want to accompany it. Now what I need is a program to capture still pictures from the film - screengrabs or screen captures, I don't know which is the correct term. Can anyone recommend some good, easy-to-use software I could download? I'd even be willing to pay for it, if it's not too expensive (I don't think I'll be doing this all THAT much). I think I'll use Windows Moviemaker to assemble the little video - I fiddled around with it and it seems pretty simple. So I'll be working on my Windows Vista program. All I need now is to extract the pictures I want - any ideas?

6 Comments:

Anonymous The Canuck said...

There is a "snipping" tool in Windows Vista (can't say how well it works since I'm a Mac guy) that looks like it will do what you're asking:

http://tinyurl.com/2qrqur

The Canuck

10:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't used it myself, but I've seen posts mentioning PowerDVD as having this capability -- it's a commercial package, but reasonably inexpensive.

4:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son had to put a movie together for his biology class recently. I don't know if this is exactly what you need, but we found a product named "AVS Video Remaker" at www.avs4you.com. You can download it for free and it seems to be working very well for him (and handles numerous formats, including mpg).

Another neat thing his teacher put him on to was the site www.mediaconverter.org that enables you to convert up to five "you tube" type videos per day into mpg format.

I think that as long as you're not making commercial use of either of these products, there is no charge.

Good luck.

robertf

8:14 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Thanks, folks! I'll try each of these in turn until I find one that works! (I've already downloaded and uninstalled several programs that I just couldn't make work - probably conflicts with the abominable Vista program).

10:06 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

UPDATE: Hey! That snipping tool seems to work! Excellent - now I can waste time this week hunting for picturesque movie frames, and perhaps by next week I'll be able to assemble my little movie.

1:41 pm  
Blogger jeniffer said...

I recently visited your blog (http://kraalspace.blogspot.com/2009/03/request-for-computer-help.html)and found it quite interesting .I have website that has deals with the same subject. Therefore, exchanging content links with your blog i would help to generate traffic and gain maximum backlinks. If you are interested with my proposal please mail me at (jeniffertech@gmail.com)

Best regards!
Jeniffer

2:25 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home