Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Raimondi pick-me-up

The kids'll be home in a few minutes, so here's something joyful to take away the bad taste from my mouth of contemplating the approach of fascism in the U.S. It's my beloved Ruggero Raimondi singing two concert pieces: "Fin ch'han del vino" from Mozart's 'Don Giovanni', and boy, does he ever rip through it! I don't think I've ever heard it so fast. It's followed by "Medaglie incomparabili" from 'Il Viaggio a Reims' by Rossini. It's a comic song, with Don Profundo imitating all the different nationalities of his companions. I suppose you have to be Italian to really get all the accents, but even I can hear the VERY heavy English accent of the 'Inglesi' coming through the Italian words. It's funny to hear what foreigners hear when they listen to English.I can also hear the French accent, but it isn't so obviously WRONG as the English, and as for the others, I can hear that they're all different, but trying to disentangle one foreign accent from another foreign language is not something I can do.

Life can't be too bad when there are still things like this to listen to.

2 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

I have been feeling about snake-belly low the last few days. It breaks my heart to see what these people are doing to my country.
The only ray of hope is a poll:
http://nwrepublican.blogspot.com/2009/03/gop-now-leading-democrat-party-in.html

6:02 pm  
OpenID tpsaye said...

"Fin ch'han del vino" is one of those arias that can get away from a singer very easily, like a runaway horse. It isn't often that I've heard it both quick AND under control.

- Robbo

3:45 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home