Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Beware of the Doghouse

I love retro ads, but this one (from National Review Online) is just too weird for words:

I find it hard to believe that even in the Eisenhower years that a garbage disposal would leave a wife overwhelmed with gratitude. Actually, the picture is drawn in such an odd way, it almost seems to undermine the delirious message of domestic harmony via garbage grinding that they want to convey. The guy is lying down so the garbage disposal looks like it's coming out of his chest - as if HE is being fed into the garbage disposal. "Yes, three times a day! That's how long it will take her to feed your dismembered remains into the grinder and on out to the river!" Either that, or he's lying in something like an iron lung, which is not an unlikely outcome after the momentous moment on Christmas Day when this present was revealed in all its glory.

No, I rather suspect that the husband who gave his wife a garbage disposal for Christmas would find himself suffering the same fate as these fellows:

2 Comments:

OpenID Robbo said...

Actually, I'd be rather happy if somebody gave me a new garbage disposal for Christmas. Ours has lost its teeth with age and needs replacing.

Having said that, the one in the ad looks like the bastard love child of a Dalek and Robot from "Lost in Space". Not sure I'd want THAT thing on the premises!

3:30 pm  
Blogger muerk said...

I don't know about you, but I ALWAYS dispose of my rubbish whilst wearing a string of pearls.

10:55 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home