Thursday, October 30, 2008

Songs for your oPod

Mark Steyn is so clever, with all his constant references to popular songs illustrating current events.  In the last week, he's referenced Willkomen, Bienvenue, Welcome, I've Got You Under My Skin, It's Morning, Noon and Night and I'm In Love, I'm In Love, I'm In Love, I'm In Love, I'm In Love With A Wonderful Guy (both in the same piece!), On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, and that doesn't even count his weekly "Song of the Week" essay.

Well, maybe I know more opera than jazz, but I can do that too. Since watching so-called conservative insiders like David Frum, Peggy Noonan and Christopher Buckley suddenly haring off after the receding sound of Obama's flute, a Canadian naturally thinks back to the stupidity of Trudeaumania in the '60s. Americans went through their Kennedy infatuation, but too much wealth and forelock-tugging has done what it always does, and that family has now degenerated through the generations until the "Kennedy magic" is now pretty much retrospective. America needs a new gigolo to sweep them off their feet, and Obama seems to be the man. Sensible people always wonder what goes on in the brains of other, formerly sensible people when they suddenly lose their heads and start acting like idiots. I remember once reading a biting analysis of why America fell for John Kennedy and it came down to "Because he was pretty."

The incoherent babbling of ex-conservatives trying to squeeze onto the Obama bandwagon has brought to mind this great old Noel Coward song:


I met him at a party just a couple of years ago,
He was rather over-hearty and ridiculous
But as I'd seen him on the screen he cast a certain spell.
I'd basked in his attraction
For a couple of hours or so.
His manners were a fraction too meticulous,
If he was real or not, I couldn't tell,
But like a silly fool I fell

Mad about the boy
I know it's stupid to be mad about the boy
I'm so ashamed of it but must admit the sleepless nights I've had
About the boy

On the silverscreen
He melts my foolish heart in every single scene
Although I'm quite aware that here and there are traces of the cad
About the boy

Lord knows I'm not a fool girl
I really shouldn't care
Lord knows I'm not a school girl
In the fury of her first affair

Will it ever cloy
This odd diversity of misery and joy
I'm feeling quite insane and young again
And all because I'm mad about the boy

Mad about the boy
It's pretty funny, but I'm mad about the boy
I can't believe it's true, but when I'm blue
In some strange way I'm glad about the boy.

If I could employ
A little magic that would finally destroy
This dream that pains me and enchains me
But I can't because I'm mad...
I'm mad about the boy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home