Saturday, October 25, 2008

Making my move

Like Lydia, the seller of purple, I have decided to convert, and my family with me.

We have an iMac.

My new Dell is in the shop again, getting its THIRD new hard drive in as many months, thanks to the execrable Windows Vista. No more. When it comes back, I will insist that Vista be removed, and replaced by Windows XP, which worked perfectly well for 6 years in the old Dell. (If the computer crashes again after that, I guess I'll have to accept that the machine is just a dud.)

Meanwhile, I have begun the task of phasing out ALL our Windows computers, and replacing them with Macs. This iMac is the first, and we will learn how to use it (I'm typing this on it right now - it's not that hard.) Emma's computer will probably have to be replaced within the next 2 years - she gets a Mac next. Unfortunately, the Dell is new, but it is going into the basement, where with luck, only Dean and I will use it, and we'll be careful and hopefully it will last. It might be useful to have one Windows OS running, because so much software is designed to run on it, but I am looking forward to the day when this house is Microsoft-free.

So repeat after me: "I abjure Bill Gates and all his works."

5 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

we are also mourning the loss of our dearly departed ami, iPomme. My daughter, Polly's iBook died last week. She feels your pain.
When we have saved up enough we will get her another, newer iMac. it WILL be a MAC! We love them. We would never go back to the old ways. Her phone has internet, so she is not totally without communication, plus I'm happy to share my iBook when she is home.

11:58 pm  
Anonymous Tragic Christian said...

I've been a Windows user for over 20 years -- yet when it was time to replace the 8 year old Dell with XP this year, I took my friend's advice and went Mac, and got a Macbook Pro. I will never go back.

Due to fortuitous circumstances, we also ended up getting an older iMac (you know, the translucent candy colored kind) for free, and a brand-new iMac with huge screen for only $1,000. Now we have an abundance of Macs in the house, and it's a joy to have them working without spending hours calling technical support nor staring at the blue screen of death. You will not regret your decision.

2:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

15 years of owning Macs and I've never had a software problem which I haven't been able to fix myself in less an hour.
And fewer and fewer software problems over the years. MacOS 10.4 and 10.5 are incredibly stable operating programs.
As for hardware, the only problems have of my own making. Mice and keyboards worn out after four or five years of use. I have lost a modem to a thunder storm which was my own fault.
Good luck with the change-over.

4:14 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I wish I'd been as smart as you lot earlier this summer, when we bought the Dell! We couldn't really afford another computer at this time (though we needed one), but desperation finally drove us to get the iMac. I'm just loving it - sensible, reliable, user-friendly, we should have had one of these all along.

8:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do the same thing by installing Ubuntu (highly stable and user-friendly, with a big user community) or another such Linux distro. And you don't have to junk your old box.

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home