Saturday, September 20, 2008

Morning glories


This has been such a dud summer, that the morning glories are about a month late! I took this picture two days ago - the vine is nice and tall, but we only got the first flower a week ago, and now I'm afraid we're coming up on overnight frost soon and that will kill the plant. So I figured I'd get a picture before it all suddenly comes to an end. You can see that they're all blue flowers; I've yet to see a single white one, though the vines are all growing, and there appear to be buds on all of them. Maybe Moonflowers take longer to mature; if things hadn't been so slow this year, we might have gotten some, but I've only a slender hope that any of the tiny buds I can see (which may be white flowers, you can't tell at that stage) will ever open.

I've been doing a bit of jam-making since the kids went back to school. With all the fresh produce off the farms in the stores came a new kind of grape I hadn't seen before: Coronation Grapes. They taste just like Concord grapes, but they're smaller and seedless. I took a picture of them just before stemming them and putting them in the pot:

There's something about bunches of grapes that just seems so biblical. And yes, that is the scale I use for cooking - at least for anything up to 4 lbs. It's very accurate, despite its age. The jam turned out well, too - Dean's been giving it away to people, so I may have to make another batch while the grapes are still in the stores.

Today I'm making some mango chutney - just a single batch, because I find that doubling batches doesn't always work perfectly. This is something you don't have to rush to make, because mangoes are available for quite a long time, and they keep pretty well, too, so I'll make about a 5-jar batch today, then another batch this week when the kids go back to school. It's actually easier than making jam; you just mix it all up then put it on to cook slowly for about an hour. Not nearly as much trouble as boiling fruit and sugar on high, and worrying about it burning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Oh, my, you are really ambitious. I used to do those things too. I did go to the farmer's market this morning. You even inspired me to blog about it.
(http://pwsnwjournal.blogspot.com/)
Your morning glories are just lovely. They always been a favorite of mine. That heavenly blue!

5:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the same for me: lots of morning glories, but no sign of a moonflower, at least not yet.

Ellie M.

9:59 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home