Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Fall routine begins again

All 3 kids are finally back to school today, and I'm the one with an upset stomach and an anxiety attack! It's always tense at the beginning of the year, as we wait to see if James can adjust back to school routine. (Dean and I get a bit nervous when we drive past his school and see a police cruiser parked outside.) I hope he settles in quickly; he was very happy with the "big school" when he went on his orientation trip last year, and he's been asking to go for over a week now.

Now I've got some projects ahead of me, as I get busy cleaning and repairing all the things the kids did to the house over the summer. James damaged some walls again, including a few that I've ALREADY repaired! However, some of the repairs I wasn't happy with anyway, they looked a bit amateurish, and so this time I'm going to do a better job and reinforce the drywall behind. There's one wall, though - it's not my fault, it's the way the builders did it - one of the joists behind the drywall, near the edge, is 1/8" further out than the rest of the wall! It might have been a later addition, when a small closet/pantry was put in the kitchen, because the joist is a different size from the 2x4s holding up the rest of the walls (yeah, I know they would be below code now, but this house was built back in the 70s, and not with the greatest materials). So I've been debating how to get a level, even wall when the beams behind aren't in a straight line. I think I'll have to use 1/2" drywall over most of the wall, with a 3/8" strip over the jutting out beam. I'm really not sure just how the original wall covered up that problem, though I think they used extra plaster on the surface to thicken the wall at the point furthest away from the larger beam, and it probably just wasn't visible to the naked eye that the wall was actually not perfectly level. Now I have to try to work around this stupid little flaw.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people use furring strips to level such a wall. I've done it myself for a wall and a ceiling,it wasn't a lot of work, and the final surface was dead flat. The trouble is, I can't find an on-line link with really clear instructions; however, this collection of links may be useful: http://en.mimi.hu/home/furring_strip.html.

Whatever method you use, good luck.

11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home