Sunday, August 10, 2008

Success!

The garage sale was a huge success! Thanks to whoever is the patron saint of garage sales, we made over $800, and sold the vast majority of what we'd put out. In the end, there were only 3 boxes of junk and 3 bags of unsold fabric scraps, plus a lamp and a stool, to send to Goodwill. The remaining things were a few lamps, recipe booklets and some old kitchen utensils which we took back into the house. Oh, and although my big 1950s lampshades didn't sell (which surprised me), an hour after the sale had ended, a lady came to the door asking to buy them! She took away 5, and left me with 2 little ones that went right back onto a lamp in James's room.

We tried to keep to a 9:00AM starting time, as advertised, but there were so many people buzzing around by 8:00, we couldn't hold out, so we started selling things early, even as we were rushing to put everything out on the driveway. It was a perfect day for it, too - clear and comfortable temperature, probably the nicest Saturday we've had all summer.

The one thing that did NOT sell, though, was...the 1930s sideboard, which was the whole reason for holding the sale in the first place! Never mind, though; Dean knows someone who is setting up a first household with a wife and new baby, and they have no furniture, so we're going to give it to them.

We can certainly use the money, because to our shock, our disabled children funding has suddenly been cut. Emma turned 18 in May, and the province's computers calculated that now that we have only TWO children who are handicapped instead of 3, our income is high enough not to need any help at all. So we've just lost $800 a month income, which we used for respite care for the boys. Naturally, nothing in our house has changed at all - Emma didn't become neurologically normal when she turned 18, she didn't get a job or leave home to reduce our financial burden, and the other kids are sure just as autistic as they ever were, but the province figures we can cope on our own now. The next year is going to be hard, until Thomas reaches 18 and then moves to "handicapped adult living at home" status and we will have some subsidy for that. Actually, it's been a rather bad summer altogether for us, but at least the garage sale brightened things up a bit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

Congratulations.
Our G-sale didn't go as well as yours, this time. I made $5. I guess my junk isn't as good as your junk!
I did better the year I had the "mother of all garage sales". It was right after my husband and my mother had both died the same year. I had all of her things + his. I think he had every tool known to man. The year was 1992 and I made over $2000!
I received a widow's stipend from Social Security (US) because my younger daughter was 14 when he died. However, when she was 16 they cut it off. (her payment continued, however, until she was 18) I guess they assume a 16 year old doesn't need a mother anymore. I'd like to meet those legislators who think up these odd, and useless rules. I'd like to give them a piece of my mind. The closest I ever come is writing letters and voting the rascals out - every chance I get.

As for the garage sale - I'm going to try again next weekend.
Fingers X'ed.

9:56 am  
Blogger Kasia said...

I received a widow's stipend from Social Security (US) because my younger daughter was 14 when he died. However, when she was 16 they cut it off. (her payment continued, however, until she was 18) I guess they assume a 16 year old doesn't need a mother anymore.

Wow, that's a weird rule. I would say maybe it's based on the idea that most states allow sixteen-year-olds to work, except that her payments continued, AND hello, not all sixteen-year-olds should or do work! Weird.

Dr. M, I'm very sorry to hear about your losing your respite care funding. May I ask why Emma doesn't qualify as handicapped adult living at home - is she not autistic enough (boy, does that sound weird!)?

11:00 am  
Anonymous Carolyn said...

Dr. M, I was wondering the same as kasia regarding payments for Emma in a changed status. But also I seem to recall that August was the month you were able to schedule her for some testing related to her seizures last spring. Did that go okay?

8:01 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Sorry for the delay in responding: computer is in the shop again (Thomas managed to do Something Funny to the Operating System, and everything in Canada takes about a week to repair - I'm typing this on Emma's computer right now, but ours should be fixed some time today). We are now looking into the adult disability subsidy for Emma, but it's a matter of building a case, and she's not nearly as disabled as her brothers, so it may be difficult. If we'd had some advance notice that the funding was going to be cut, we could have started on this before her 18th birthday in May, but we didn't know it would be necessary until just a week ago).
Emma's appointment with the neurologist is on Monday - I'll post any developments.

9:15 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home