Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Clearing debris

I swore I'd never do it again, but I've decided that the house is too cluttered, so we are having...a garage sale. I hate pricing things, setting up a sale, and dickering with people, but it's the only way. I have a little Art Deco sideboard that I want to get rid of - it's really small, but our kitchen is smaller, and the only place I could put it was behind the kitchen table. This meant you had to pull out the table in order to open the doors; as a result, I didn't open it very often. I finally realized that the stuff I was keeping in it wasn't stuff I really needed too much, and pretty as it is, the sideboard is superfluous.

How to get rid of it, though? It's not valuable enough to advertize in the paper, and I can't ship it, so eBay likely wouldn't work. It's either a garage sale, or give it to the Salvation Army. Once I decided that, I figured we might as well use the opportunity to get rid of other stuff, most of it collected at auctions over the years. I have a LOT of lamps and lampshades, and a few months ago I sorted through my old cookbooks and recipe booklets, and came up with a box of duplicates or uninteresting ones. I'm going to go down to the basement and sort through my fabric collection, and take out the stuff that's not useful for quilts, or just not attractive enough to keep, and see if anyone will take it off my hands.

This time we've started early, so hopefully I won't be pricing things at 11:30 PM on Friday night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tashia Calhoun said...

Be sure to advertise your old lamps, lampshades and cookbooks, those will bring some targeted shoppers!

For lots of tips on how to have a successful garage sale the easy way...visit http://www.garage-sale-secrets.com

4:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my mom says: "In WHAT life am I going to try all these recipes?!"

Have you seen this article on Chesterton, btw?

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/08/05/michael-coren-g-k-chesterton-an-icon-to-too-few.aspx

Ellie M.

11:09 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home