Sunday, June 08, 2008

Auntie May called from Victoria, to tell me that Auntie Fern died in her sleep early this morning in Pasadena. She'd struggled against cancer for a long time, and I'm glad the end was peaceful. She's the second sister in that generation to die; my mom was the first, very prematurely, over 20 years ago (she was only 55). It makes me sad to think that they're all in their 70s and 80s now, and this is something that is going to keep happening. They were seven sisters and one brother in my mom's family - they've always been the mountain around which my little life has pattered about, and now...they're starting to leave. I've always felt young with them; now I realize that I'm nearly 50, nearly the age my mom was when she died. Well, I'm a little depressed about this, even though we knew it was bound to happen soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Antique said...

My condolences. I understand what you mean. Only this past week while dressing I looked at my 48 year-old face in the mirror and realized, "That person looking back at me is part of the adult generation, mature, no longer young. Who is that person?" I've always felt more like 18 t0 22, but the years are now showing so much they're impossible to ignore.

Of my parent's families, only Mom and 1 brother survive. They are both in their 80s and, though otherwise healthy, suffer from chronic illnesses that diminish their overall health, day by day, month by month. I now stand where they stood when I was young. It's sobering. And sad to know the last 2 human rocks in my life are soon be separated from me. Fortunately, the Holy Spirit is always there for me.

11:57 am  
Blogger Kasia said...

I'm sorry to read of your loss (both the actual death and the accompanying paradigm shift).

10:15 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home