Sunday, May 11, 2008

Enforced hiatus

Gotta make this quick - last week, our computer was hit with a net worm (maybe someone trying to defend the reputation of the Turkish Sultan). I took it in to Stapes on Tuesday for cleaning, and they told me it would be ready by Friday at the latest. On Saturday we phoned and were told it was ready. I picked it up, plugged it in, and discovered that absolutely NOTHING had been done to it! The same software trying to install itself and hijack the machine, the same popups, the same freezing - well, you get the picture. Naturally I phoned them in a mighty temper, and was told to bring it back so they could do the job. I said no, I want my money back and I'll be getting someone else to fix the problem. Now I have to bring the PC back on Monday, to PROVE that the problem still exists! That's tomorrow's job, and if I don't get back every penny of my money, it'll be the last time I ever set foot in a Staples again!

A week to clean a hard drive - that's ridiculous. And not a week of working on it; a week of it sitting in the back room, while other people's computers get fixed. The phone book is filled with ads for companies that come to the house to fix the problem, it's ridiculous to lug the thing out to a store that can't even give you a decent turnaround time. It's like my aunts, who were still RENTING their phone from Bell Canada - in 1999! Just because they had always done it that way.

Anyway, that's why it's been so quiet here. I haven't wasted the time, though - I finished painting the living room, rehung our icons and pictures (I'll post some pictures of the Marza paintings we have when I get back to full strength), and of course I've been doing some gardening. I'll try to post this in between flashing red X's, "System Warnings" and "Spyware Alerts". Hope it takes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

I know it is a little late, but you should'a got a MAC.
Sorry, I just had to say it. You wouldn't have had this kind of agro.
Hope the new people take care of the situation. Just remember - it will happen again. "The Geeks shall inherit the Earth.
Good luck!
Looking forward to more wit and wisdom.

5:08 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Arrrrgghhh...I'm beginning to see the wisdom in that saying! Well, this pc is over 5 years old, and though it still works well, we'll have to replace it some day. Maybe then we'll think of the Mac route - why are they better? They don't get viruses?

7:09 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home