Thursday, March 13, 2008

Life imitates SCTV


SCTV fans will surely remember Tex and Edna Boil's Prairie Warehouse and Curio Emporium. This is very much along the same lines, though I think Edna was a better saleswoman than the lady here.

There's one thing I noted at the end - there's a phone number with the area code 250. That's the same area code as my aunts in Victoria! And they're singing a song about the Ogopogo at the end, and then a little Ogopogo graphic crawls across the screen. The Ogopogo is a sea monster said to live in Okanagan Lake, where we spent our summers as kids.

This commercial is...is...CANADIAN!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Bovina Bloviator said...

I thought Tex and Edna were in the organ and budgie trade.

5:11 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yes, I think it settled down finally into an organ emporium, with a sideline in budgies. But the very earliest episodes, I seem to remember, had this "Prairie Warehouse" thing going - "for all your Badland needs" was their slogan. The pitch never changed, though: 'Come on DOWWWWWWNNNN!'

8:17 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home