Saturday, March 01, 2008

In like a lion

Today's forecast: light flurries, high of -1C.

Yes, I'm tired. Tired of waking up to 5" of snow every morning, tired of trying to hack away compacted ice at the foot of the driveway, tired of threading my way through a 1-foot wide channel up the stairs to the front door. But just when it seems the darkest, there is this:

This is a moonflower - a white variety of morning glory that opens in the afternoon and stays open at night. For years I've tried to grow them, and never had a single success. Morning glories can usually be planted directly outside, but for some reason, these never would come up. I was in the hardware store, and saw the packets of seeds for sale, and felt so starved for some gardening, I bought one and decided to try starting it inside. It was just an experiment, because it's far too early to be starting seeds. But I wanted to see if I could just get ONE moonflower to poke above the soil. Out of 4 seeds, this one sprouted (though I think another one may be starting). Now I know it can be done. Sometime in April, I'll do this again, and then, perhaps, I can transplant a moonflower to the garden, and we'll finally get to see a flower.

3 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

I'm sorry Global Warming has left you so cold, and with so much snow to contend with this winter. You need to take it up with Algore. He has a lot to answer for!

10:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so taken by your description of the moonflower that I bought some moonflower seeds in the supermarket today. I hope they grow. I don't exactly have what you'd call a "green thumb"!

Ellie M.

8:11 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Good luck, Ellie! Maybe I've just had bad luck with moonflowers, but I've tried many times, planting them just the same as morning glories, and while the morning glories would almost always come up, nary a moonflower was to be seen. Perhaps starting indoors will do the trick. In some catalogues, I've seen it listed that moonflowers are also fragrant, which would be a lovely bonus if it's true!

9:21 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home