Saturday, March 29, 2008

In honour of Earth Hour

This evening from 8:00 to 9:00 is Earth Hour, when "the world" (otherwise known as 250,000 Deeply Concerned rich westerners) will be reducing power consumption. Magic Statistics has worked out the, well, statistics, and he's using the figure of 55,000 Canadians who've signed up for this charade; the article I read in the Citizen only mentioned 45,000. Nevertheless, it's about 0.17 percent of Canada's population who are planning to save the Earth this evening; the worldwide statistic would be even more embarrassing.

To honour Earth Hour, this evening in our house, every light will be blazing, three TVs will be operating, as well as two computers, a fridge and a deepfreeze. I may pick that hour to roast some coffee, too - it's my usual time. There's a good chance someone will take a shower during that hour, too. Since it's a special occasion, I might go around and replace a few burnt-out lightbulbs, too. Of course, that's pretty much the way it is EVERY evening at our house, where 5 people are simultaneously vying for entertainment, education, work and there's a little fraternal conflict thrown in, just to make it interesting.

UPDATE: We're halfway through Earth Hour, and as I predicted, lights are on and TVs are roaring away. Maybe I should go put on a load of laundry. I just remembered something - a month ago, Britain tried out "E-Day", a similar attempt to reduce energy consumption over 24 hours. Sinclair's Musings live-blogged it, and I couldn't stop laughing. By the end of the day, the British had managed to INCREASE energy consumption by 2% over the normal rate!

6 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

I'm so proud of you - a real "earth mother" - vous n'ĂȘtes pas la bourgeoisie.
I, too, will be shining brightly - all evening, not just for an hour. I may even turn on my porch light, just for good measure. You are an inspiration! Je vous salue. (with my empty Coke bottle) ;-)

9:34 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Good for you! And you take care of that empty Coke bottle; I hear the Diocese of Oregon is looking for a new bishop.

2:20 pm  
Blogger The Bovina Bloviator said...

You might also consider running your air conditioners and cranking up the heat simultaneously.

5:13 pm  
Blogger The Bovina Bloviator said...

Hi Doctor,

It's 8:34 and I'm just checking in to make sure your computer's on and all the lights are on.

Tinkerty tonk!

8:35 pm  
Blogger C. Andiron said...

Drat! You ruined it for me! When I brought up Google this morning the screen was black with the words 'We've turned the lights out - it's your turn. Earth Hour! (pointing to some url)'.

I knew it was some crock of horse **** and resolved to go through the day with the satisfaction of not bothering to find out what it was all about.

And now you've ruined my plan. Thanks a lot.

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Antique said...

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

1:07 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home