Thursday, February 07, 2008

Back to the house

We're 1.5 weeks and counting from the start of bathroom renovations! It looks like they WILL be taking the ceiling off after all - that was always my idea, but the bathroom guy said that it was possible to attach another ceiling onto the first one, as opening the ceiling into the attic would be messy, what with insulation falling around, etc. But the contractor noticed that the ceiling presently ripples, bowing down a bit between the joists - moisture damage, probably, maybe over the years, or maybe there was a roof leak at some time in the past. Anyway, you can't really attach a flat piece of drywall onto a rippled surface, so it'll be better to entirely replace the ceiling.

I've been shopping for new light fixtures and mirrors, and I think I've found the mirror I want for the big bathroom:
It's 30" square - very handsome, I think. But I'll have to paint the wall BEFORE the mirror is installed.

I've decided to do a bit of painting elsewhere in the house, warming up to the painting I'll have to do in the bathrooms. I started with some primer, and what do I discover but I've bought OIL-based primer! Aaaauuugghhh! I only realized it after I'd done some painting and tried to wash off the brush. Well, there's one brush down the drain. But to hell with it - I'm not wasting a whole can of paint, so I'll just have to finish the job with this stuff. It's not hard to paint with, it just doesn't wash off easily. And it says that it's suitable for going on top of or underneath any other paint, so I don't think I'll have to stick with oil paint throughout. I've just done half the upstairs hall and some spots in the TV room.

There's not much else to do, as it's snowing AGAIN outside. This has got to be the snowiest winter I've ever experienced since moving to Ottawa 25 years ago or so. And the snow removal is the most incompetent this year, too. (I think it's the first winter since we elected our hotshot businessman mayor, too.) They no longer salt in advance of storms - in fact, the policy now seems to be to wait until the snow has FINISHED, and THEN begin plowing! Ottawa has always been very efficient at removing snow, but not this year. They say they blew the whole budget on a heavy snowfall in December, but they also underbudgetted, because LAST year we had quite a dry winter, and they gambled that it would happen again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous ellie m. said...

"They say they blew the whole budget on a heavy snowfall in December, but they also underbudgetted, because LAST year we had quite a dry winter, and they gambled that it would happen again."

Apparently they made the mistake of listening to David Suzuki.

"Global warming is upon us! Winter shall become a thing of the past as the planet roasts and the icecaps thaw! There'll be no more snow, ever!!!!!"

10:01 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home