Monday, January 07, 2008

A bit of Canadiana

I've always disliked the Canadian obsession with creating "government agencies" to deal with everything, but the one that I have a weakness for is the National Film Board. Sure, they produce crap like all government agencies, but they also do put out some good animation, like the following:
I was surprised to see a date of 1991 on this little short - I thought I'd seen it when I was young, but I guess it's just that I'd heard the song years earlier. Anyway, this fits easily into the category of "Canadian classic" - a nice glimpse of a country that's rapidly disappearing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever see "The Cat Came Back"? It was done in a similar animation style, and also based on a song. It was absolutely hysterical!

1:21 pm  
Anonymous Ellie M. said...

Oops, the above post is by me, Ellie M.

1:22 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yes, that's another classic! I think it's on YouTube too - I'll look for it and put up a link to that as well, now that we're delving into NFB Greatest Hits.

2:15 pm  
Anonymous robertf said...

Thanks Doc! That really struck a nerve. You could substitute "Deer Flies" for "Black Flies" and "South Louisian-I-O" for "North Ontar-I-O-I-O" and it would summerize much of my own surveying experience. Great tune and animation!

1:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home