Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kid Talk

Yesterday evening, I took over the computer when Thomas and James suddenly rushed upstairs together. After only about 5 minutes, Thomas came hustling downstairs again.

Thomas: Excuse me, Mommy.
Me: Yes? What is it?
Thomas: Look here.
Me: What's the matter?
Thomas: WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

Oh dear. I've never heard him say THAT before, and I had instant visions of overflowing toilets or flooding bathtubs. But it turned out to be less serious. He was heralding the arrival of James, who thought it would be hilariously funny to get fully dressed, including underwear AND a hat, then go into the shower and turn it on, and then come marching downstairs to show off his daring. I had to strip off his soaking wet clothes, as a puddle formed under our feet and he giggled maniacally the whole time. Then I took a towel and followed the long wet trail back upstairs, mopping all the way. Of course, by the time I'd finished, the kids had taken over the computer again.

This morning, Emma had a dentist appointment, so we drove downtown to the office building where the office is located. The elevator going up was a bit crowded, so I ended up pressing all the buttons for the different passengers. Emma immediately became concerned about which floor was for us. I reassured her we were going to the THIRD floor, not the SECOND, as she had thought. Then, as she's rather a guileless talker, she explained loudly that she'd gotten mixed up because her psychologist's office is on the second floor. A businessman in the elevator suddenly smiled with genuine amusement. I don't think he'd expected to hear something quite that entertaining on the elevator first thing in the morning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mrs. Falstaff said...

Probably Not!

7:58 am  
Blogger Kasia said...

Very sweet...but not quite as cute as your Thomas and James story... :-p

"Excuse me Mommy...WE HAVE A PROBLEM."

I wish you kept a camcorder rolling in your house. You could win Funniest Home Videos over and over and over...

6:23 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Thomas does have a way with words, and James's shenanigans brings out the best. I remember one time when he hurried downstairs to tell me that James was up to something, but didn't have the words to describe it. He said breathlessly, "James happened!" I know how that can be.

8:55 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home