Monday, October 29, 2007

Catchup post

Sorry I haven't been posting - it's partly that I've been lazy, and when it comes to the serious subjects, I haven't been able to formulate any post that's less than 1000 words! I'm daunted by the prospect of my own verbosity - I really have to learn how to write snappy posts that get it all said in one paragraph, like Kathy Shaidle, instead of massive essays that nobody can get to the end of.

But I have a more respectable reason, too. A month or so ago, Nick said I should write a novel, and I joked that my typical MO when it comes to such huge projects is to get 4/5ths of the way through, then abandon it. The truth is, I did write such a project about 2 years ago, and just as I said, I'd almost finished it, then stopped. The thread revived the subject, and I felt ashamed of having put so much work into a piece without completing it, so two weeks ago I pulled it out and began a final revision. Now I'm determined to finish it, even if it just goes back into the file cabinet afterwards - I just want to be able to say it's done. So for the next couple of weeks, I will be doing that, and will announce when it's finished.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Alice said...

Good for you. I used to dream of writing a novel and even tried the NaNoWriMo project once or twice ("National Novel Writing Month" - it's in November every year). I bombed. But then a little more than a year ago I joined a fan fiction writing group and wrote a story I thought was going to be a one-shot. It grew to 26 chapters and over 90,000 words. I still can't believe I did it.

11:00 pm  
Blogger Kasia said...

I second the commendation. When I was about eight years old I made a list of things to do the next day. On the list (which included things like getting up, getting dressed, and brushing my teeth) was "Write a novel." The Big Seester just looooves to tell that story...but the furthest I've ever gotten was a couple of (very lame) chapters when I was about 12 and some (very lame) short stories. I'm better at essays, for some reason...

2:58 pm  
Blogger Toral said...

Need proof reader? Sympathetic but tough-minded editor? We can do these editorial tasks (for a very very small fee).

In lieu of a fee, if you promise never to donate money to the ACC again -- all services are free!

(Except you may donate to Network parishes. If you can find one.)

Toral

10:52 pm  
Blogger Toral said...

I have my own idea for a writing project -- set up the stages in my mind. A screenplay for the show Cold Case. It would involve events occurring 30 years ago. And it would involve an Episcopal bishop, wearing his purple shirt, being led away in handcuffs.

(The screenplay would have to explain to the audience what the Episcopal Church is, having the loyalty of about 1% of the population as it does. Some of the show's characters are clearly (perhaps lapsed) Roman Catholics. So I need to have a character make a quick explanation, like "You don't know about Episcopalians? They're like Catholics except a lot richer and whiter, and they don't believe anything they say.")

Then the screenplay would go back to the subject....

11:01 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Heheh - I had a good idea for a murder mystery involving an Episcopal priest murdered in the organ loft of his church on Easter Sunday! Ah, but it might require too much specialized information for the average reader. And I think I'd have to do a lot of research on pipe organs in order not to make any mistakes. I might keep that one on the back burner, though.

9:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

7:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

orgagueRoonia [url=http://manatee-boating.org/members/Order-cheap-Cipro-online.aspx]Order cheap Cipro online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-differin-no-prescription-online]Buy Differin no prescription online[/url]

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home