Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Garden pictures

Some pictures from this morning:

Beetles attacking a rose - ugh. Never mind, their days are numbered.

Now, the good stuff.

First, the Garden Monster - a Sugar Snack cherry tomato plant which has gone berserk. It's nearly 6' tall, and it has thrown out branches 4' long, which are trailing along the ground like vines. It actually overran and toppled a large "Champion" tomato plant 3' away. I only discovered the smothered victim when I noticed one big green tomato among all the little ones, but I managed to pull the tentacles off of it and right it again. Turned all the lower leaves yellow, but I think it will survive.



Here's Emma with a raspberry. We have 3 types, and I can't remember the names of any of them anymore. But the two others are earlier varieties, and smaller. This third one, we have a whole row of (second picture, with the potatoes in the foreground), and they are HUGE, especially when they first ripen. They are just starting to get ripe now, and will continue to produce until the frost.

Finally, some flowers:



8 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Yowza - that raspberry looks more like a large strawberry!!!

I'm oddly reminded of a Ruth Chew book, in which one of the characters shrinks and is able to break off bits of raspberry that are the size of basketballs for her...

2:27 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I know, aren't they great? I always used to boast about how big the raspberries grew in Vancouver, but these are every bit as big. Dean calls them "raspbergs".

4:38 pm  
Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Oh beautiful Garden...I just sent away for a facsimile Folio Society edition of 'The Secret Garden' that I am looking forward to reading.

And those Japanese beetles you wrote about once upon a time...are they the ones with the cute little kimonos?

The photo of beetles here reminded me I never did post that remark about the kimonos.

Yes, one of these days I shall get a life...

10:47 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

No, Nick, these are not the ones with the kimonos. These are SAMURAI beetles, destroying everything in their path!

11:56 pm  
Anonymous Robert the Llama Butcher said...

Very, very nice.

I have a mixed-variety raspberry patch, too. The early fruiters did moderately well, but for whatever reason, the crop coming up now is the heaviest I've ever seen. (Of course, our Dee Cee area berries aren't anywhere near as big as yours!)

4:12 pm  
Anonymous CarolynP said...

Your daughter Emma is very lovely. I love reading your blog. If I am ever in Canada, I hope I could meet you in person.

9:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that green leafy veg. that looks like giant spinach?

another avid gardener

2:25 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

That is Swiss Chard, and it is very like spinach - we use it as a substitute in some recipes. It has an additional advantage, though - you can use the thick stems as a substitute for CELERY! Also, it comes in pretty colours - the stems can be red, yellow, white, orange, pink - it's quite attractive and easy to grow.

3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home