Friday, August 24, 2007

Back from the auction

Emma and I drove down towards Iroquois on the St. Lawrence today, because the apple farm I frequent down there finally had damson plums! I got about 20 lbs, so jam-making begins this weekend. As we were so close to Spencerville, we went over to the auction I wrote about yesterday, just to see what was there.

I got a picture of the Jesus painting:
Now that I've seen it, I have to say, I think my original idea about this painting was correct. This Jesus is pretty scary:
He's holding that crook like he's about to bash the occupant with it the moment the door opens, and he really looks like he means business. Plus he seems anatomically a little strange, like a Barbie doll - the location of his knee is VERY low, and makes him look like he has an incredibly long waist. Plus the robe bunched up over the shoulder gives him a slightly hunchbacked appearance. The town in the background reminds me a little of the way buildings and hills are done in icons, but that weird little stone fence crossing the field spoils it all. It looks as if Jesus has tiptoed over the fence all the way from the town! I don't know if it was really painted on canvas - I suspect it might have been board. It looks like this is the version they were working from. They look similar, but believe, the expression was just quite different.

Apart from that, it was an enjoyable outing, with lots of bizarre old things collected over decades in an old stone house. I got a weird 1950s chair, plus a box of winter gloves and a laundry hamper with a nondescript quilt top in it. It's just squares of material (BADLY sewn together) but in like-new condition, so since it's not really any good as a quilt, I will use it to repair other quilts.

Here are some pictures, including two a young girl who was very taken with all the fancy hats and vintage finery there and modelled some for me. Alas, she didn't get the pretty pink dress - it was bought by another lady for $7.50.





6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Barf*. Maybe the Muslims are right. Maybe all pictorial representations of religious things are evil and should be avoided.

9:51 pm  
Blogger Nicholodeon said...

The little lady holding up the pink net dress is chowmin'.

The oil of IC XC is definitely not paint by numbers. But, Doc, did you at least bid on it?

3:17 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

No, I was afraid I might win, and I'd be a bit nervous with that picture. It went for $35 as I recall.

8:36 am  
Blogger Kasia said...

$35? Did that $35 go to the previous owner or to the poor soul who hauled the picture off?

9:25 am  
Blogger Mrs. Falstaff said...

What gets me about all of these paintings of Jesus is - Jesus Wasn't White! It's also very unlikely that he was blonde.

10:38 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I know! I had a Catholic friend once who showed me a wedding present that had been exiled to her basement - a very kitschy portrait of a pale, blond, blue-eyed Jesus looking soulfully upward. She said, "That's not my Jesus! That is a picture of a girl with a beard!"

1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home