Thursday, August 23, 2007

Auction listings

In case anyone is interested, this is the website I consult daily to see what auctions are taking place in the neighbourhood. It covers eastern Ontario and the southern part of Quebec.

One soon gets used to the "style" of auction listings. Most of them are very detailed, especially if they don't also provide photos. But sometimes there are funny expressions, which you'd think wouldn't slip through. "Rod iron" instead of "wrought iron" is one I encounter all the time. And sometimes they just don't know the exact term, so you get an approximation.

There's an auction tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure that what is being sold is copy of this old familiar painting:

I think we all know this painting. It's commonly called "Behold, I stand at the door and knock," because that's the phrase out of the Bible that inspired it.

But this auction lists it as "original oil on canvas 'Jesus Knocking On Your Door'", which conjures up quite a different image of a pissed-off Christ about to kick the door down. I might just go tomorrow, to get a look at this painting to see if my guess is correct.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Oh my - I just had an image of Rambo Jesus...

10:21 pm  
Blogger The Lady Mistabel said...

Also notice the heart around the door...I stand at the door 'of your heart' and knock.

It is painted by Warner Sallman who also painted that familiar brown face of IC XC that one sees everywhere (except in Orthodox Churches).

Oh, Doc, if it is an original, it's probably worth money. But it might be one of those canvases 'imprinted' with the original.

And, by way of explanation, I am Nich's treasure, and I let him think he owns me. But it's really the other way around...he is my Boy Toy.

Ta.

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, the person who wrote "Rod Iron" may have been subconsciously thinking of Psalm 2:
Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

8:02 pm  
Blogger Daniel Muller said...

That reminds me, unfortunately, of Advent Vespers for which I selected, directed, and accompanied the Chepponis Magnificat (please: don't ask, don't tell, just take my word that in this situation, it was High Art). To the original syrupy 3/4 melody I fit the proper refrain:

SEE the Lord CO-ming FROM_ aFAR;
His SPLEN-dor FILLS_ the EARTH (bis).

Later a fellow came up to me and said that he could only think:

SEE the Lord CO-ming FROM_ aFAR;
He's PISSED and He's AF-ter YOU! (bis).

Which of course is now the only version that comes to mind; I had to google the original just now.

So I probably had a reaction different from other congregants when this Magnificat reappeared in my life nineteen years later at the Cathedral last week at the Assumption.
_ _ _ _ _

By the way, "rod iron" and all the possible variations of armoire are favorites on Craigslist here. Makes it difficult to search for items sometimes.

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home