Friday, July 27, 2007

Today's produce update


These are the hot peppers I picked just this morning. Three types - jalapeno, yellow banana, and a round red one called "Cherry Bomb". I gave Dean these to take to the office to distribute. I have one more type that is just starting to get red - a long Portuguese red pepper, but the plant only has two on it at the moment. I discovered last year that picking them is the best way to keep the plant producing, and this is a lot more than I can use in one day.

We're now in a spell of dry, hot weather, so I think that next week it'll be Tomato Alley around here. My tomato plants are loaded with tomatoes, but they're all green, and have been for weeks, just getting bigger. Now I think they'll ripen, and then I'll have to get out the canning equipment to try and make use of them. The surplus will go with Dean to feed External Affairs, of course.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Oh Doc!

I love the photo of the peppers...the comoposition I find is superb, with the red 'dot' from the one pepper poised against the yellow and green of the others!

As to the fruit cake (see below) my late grandmother used to keep hers 'soaked in brandy' in a crock, so that when she did offer it up at tea times during the year, it was a delightful treat that helped one get nicely crocked.

In our family also the wedding cake was fruit cake iced with a hard white boiled icing that our brides used to save the top layer of for her and hubbie to share on their first wedding anniversary.

With today's divorce rate, I suppose that practice has fallen by the wayside in most circles.

10:43 am  
Blogger Nicholodeon said...

I have finally figured out how to insert a photo into my name and am just showing off.

12:35 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

How cute, Nick! Is that you as a baby?

8:44 am  
Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Yep, that is I when I had hair. It was taken in March 1946 on my second birthday. Quick. How old is he?

Oh, he hasn't been 'cute' since then.

3:10 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home