Thursday, July 05, 2007

Shared snobbery

CBC announcers annoy me a lot, but every now and then their snobbishness coincides with my own, and I enjoy their comments. Yesterday, I was listening to Radio 2, and turned on the radio just to catch the tail end of some live performance recording of a Brahms concerto. As the piece ended, the announcer came on and said, "And that was Brahms' _______ concerto, in a live performance. Even with the cellphone going off at the beginning! Did you hear that? I've never heard that before, though it must happen all the time - you can't prevent it. At least it was a regular phone ring, and not..."Fernando"!" I actually laughed out loud at that. Yes, I can imagine the enormous irritation of being in a concert hall, and suddenly someone's telephone starts playing a sappy pop song.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicholodeon said...

You mean there is someone else out there in 'radioland' who gets annoyed at the affectations of some of the CBC announcers?

Maybe during my second year at university I fell prey to the same temptation, of trying to impress everyone with how erudite I had grown because of two years at university. Maybe I still fall prey to that temptation, and probably do.

But one of the announcers must have started opening an occasional book...in between snippets of Bach and others, this announcer attempts to wow us with his deep penetration of the musteries of quantum physics...spare us, until you have at least read another book on the subject, and not one in the "For Idiots" series.

Doc, your week off blogging fired you up with more spirited energy, and as one of the faithful readers, I am glad you are 'back'.

11:31 am  
Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Duh, make that 'mysteries' and not 'musteries' although the typo version sounds good in the context I used it...

11:35 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Thanks, Nick! Oh, CBC announcers have such a smug, smooth manner about them - they drive me crazy. Sometimes I wish I were rich and famous, just so I could have the pleasure of REFUSING to be interviewed by the CBC. "No, thank you. I don't speak to the CBC. All my interviews will be on the Rush Limbaugh show."

8:20 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home