Friday, May 18, 2007

Tree of Temptation

A red-letter day on the gardening front. This morning, I went on a whim to Artistic Landscape Designs, just off Bank Street. I'd sworn off this place for a number of reasons, not least of which is that they're VERY EXPENSIVE! Another one is their location - wedged almost under an overpass, behind a car dealership. They have almost NO parking, and to turn around, you have to drive into their stoneyard, and dodge around caterpillars and trucks. And the worst thing is that they deal with the general public, like me, and also with professional landscapers. So you can end up at the checkout counter, trying to pay for one miserable hosta, and find that all the tellers are on the phone, negotiating with someone for the pickup or delivery of several acres'-worth of bark mulch, or enough granite slabs to front a pyramid. It's a terribly inefficient place. But they do have wonderful perennials, more hostas than anyone else in town (except maybe Budd Gardens), and a lot of things you'll never find anywhere else.

So when I was just across the street at Staples this morning, I thought what the hell, I'll just pop in and see what they've got. First of all, there was no place to park, reminding me again of why I hate going there. But when I'd finally found a spot, I went in and found that they're in full swing. A lot of nice roses, and they're a little bit cheaper than at Knippel's (though more than at the garden centers at the hardware or grocery stores). Anyway, I was wandering along their tree section, looking at the lilacs that are a lot nicer than mine, when I saw something I never thought I'd see in Ottawa - a lineup of Damson Plum trees!

I've been searching for damson plums for years, and this year finally gave up on the plan of growing my own. That's why I bought the two apple trees. Naturally, right at that moment, I find what I've been looking for! Well, there was nothing for it - I had to buy the damson, and now we're going to have to find a place for another tree, just when I thought that the garden was pretty well decided as far as big things go. The lady at the counter said I needed another plum to pollinate it, but I looked online when I got home, and found that damsons are self-fertile, though another plum will increase yields. If I can find a dwarf plum, maybe I'll go for it, but at the moment I'm going to stick with just the one.

I was so enthused by finding the tree, I went ahead and bought 3 David Austin 'Eglantyne' roses for the front yard, plus 2 gold-leaf Centaurea, and another purple-brown Baptisia (the one I ordered last fall seems to have died). An expensive trip, but a worthwhile one. (I still hate their parking, though.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Hey Doc
Your gardening tales inspire...I hired a lawn company to take care of our lawns and flower beds this year...so I get to enjoy the fruits of the labour of others...although it's my labour involved, since I work to earn the shekels to pay the workers that tend to the garden that Jack built...

Tell Dean the Russian Orthodox Church is reconciled with the Russian ORthodox Church Outside Russia, the ceremony taking place on Ascension day in Moscow in Holy Saviour. All the photos etc are posted in English and Russian at the ROCOR site.

Garden on, thou fearless and faithful.

9:56 am  
Blogger The Bovina Bloviator said...

Dear Doctor,

Since you shelled out all those buckos (albeit Canadian) for a fruit tree, how about posting a pic of it so to share the loveliness.

Yer pal and admirer,
BB

7:56 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Nick - I told Dean about the unification of those two branches of the Russian Orthodox Church, and he got very excited. He knew about it already, and thought it was wonderful news! Believe me, on the hottest days of summer, when I'm trudging around behind a noisy lawnmower, I very much envy people who can have such desultory chores taken care of by others!

BB - I've put up some photos; all taken on overcast days, unfortunately, but as the plants get bigger, I'll try to get a little blue sky in the photos as well.

7:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home