Tuesday, May 22, 2007

They should get Sir Humphrey Appleby to write their press releases

Integrity Outraged at Canterbury's Choice of Bigotry And Discrimination Rather Than Inclusion Of Bishop Gene Robinson

May 22, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"Integrity is outraged and appalled," said Integrity President Susan Russell. "This is not only a snub of Bishop Gene Robinson but an affront to the entire U.S. Episcopal Church. The Archbishop of Canterbury has allowed himself to be blackmailed by forces promoting bigotry and exclusion in the Anglican Communion. This action shows a disgraceful lack of leadership on Williams’ part."


Jim: I'm appalled.
Sir Humphrey: You're appalled? I'm appalled.
Jim: I just can't believe it I'm ... I'm appalled. What do you make of it Bernard?
Bernard: I'm appalled.
Jim: So am I, appalled.
Sir Humphrey: (after a pause) It's appalling.

- Yes, Minister, Episode #5, 'The Writing on the Wall'

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought Nigel Hawthorne would have made the perfect Jeeves (better than Stephen Frye). You could almost say YM had a Wooster-Jeeves dynamic going on.

10:48 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

You know, he WOULD have made a great Jeeves! Sir Humphrey did often have that patient, "the burdens I have to bear!" attitude when dealing with Hacker. Of course, Hacker was a devious weasel on his own, not like the guileless Bertie Wooster, so Humphrey was frequently outwitting and wrong-footing him. Such behaviour would have been outrageous directed at poor Bertie, but Hawthorne would have known how to do it.

3:35 pm  
Blogger The Bovina Bloviator said...

The most moving theater experience I ever had was seeing Nigel Hawthorne as C. S. Lewis in "Shadowlands" at the closing performance on Broadway. I found myself getting choked up at the end and was a little embarrassed until I noticed most of the audience members in the full theater were bawling their heads off--and this was in New York City!

Hopkins portrayal in the movie was insipid compared with Hawthorne's in the play. I will never forget it.

12:28 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I think Anthony Hopkins is overrated altogether nowadays. I really liked him in his younger days, when he wasn't well-known, but now he doesn't seem to have the range he used to have. A bit like Peter Ustinov in his later career - he's really playing up to the big name, not doing the work of an actor to really become someone else.

8:38 am  
Anonymous ellie m said...

They're appalled? I am shocked, SHOCKED to hear that.

10:49 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home