Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Garden visitor

I was out looking at the garden yesterday morning, when to my astonishment, a hummingbird hovered over, and hung about for several seconds. There was nothing interesting for it to eat - they're attracted to bright colours, and it's too early for most of my flowers - but I think it was drawn by a small clump of orange tulips, now, unfortunately, very tired out and ready to fall. It's always a bit of a shock when a hummingbird appears. I can't immediately realize what it is - I thought this one was a dragonfly, even though my brain was trying to say, "No, that would be a VERY BIG dragonfly! This can't be right." And you can't see their wings when they're flying; finally, I saw the head, and recognized it as a bird.

Things are progressing nicely. About half the potatoes I planted have come up, and I expect more will follow. The Boyne raspberries are covered with flowers that haven't opened yet, but it looks like we'll get a lot of berries. Trial and error - not cutting the canes down last fall was the right thing to do, but it took me 3 years to figure it out.

Green onions have all sprouted, and about half the shallots. I've planted 9 different tomato plants, and 4 hot pepper plants. I'm not going to bother with the regular bell peppers; they produce more than we can use, and green peppers are readily available at the store.

My only worry is that the Benjamin Britten rose I transplanted to make room for the damson plum is looking a bit peaky - yellow leaves, some shrivelling. Maybe the soil doesn't agree with it. I'll try some foliar feeding to see if that helps; it doesn't seem to have any bugs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mrs. Falstaff said...

Here's my hummingbird story:

I used to be an elementary school teacher, and one day I was out on yard duty (wearing a colourful flowered tshirt), and I heard what I thought was the loudest/biggest wasp I'd ever heard in the vicinity of my left ear. I startled, and the hummingbird flew around my head a few times and then flew away.

I've put a hummingbird feeder in my back yard (I live near the Conroy pit, so there is lots of forest nearby), but they haven't found it yet. I saw a woodpecker trying to find bugs in a telephone pole, and a great blue heron on my neighbours roof.

11:49 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

There's a woodpecker somewhere in the neighbourhood that I often hear in the morning, but I've never seen it. But a blue heron! That's very exotic.

1:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home