Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Garden toys


This is A COOL TOY!

I got one last fall, at an auction near Winchester. I actually didn't know what it was, but I knew I'd seen a picture of it before (it's in the Lee Valley Tools catalogue). I thought it was a thing for aerating the soil, even though it seemed pretty heavy-duty for that. Mine was practically brand new, and a very good deal; I think I paid $25 for it (it's $140 new), and yesterday I decided to try it out, having figured out that in fact it's for turning soil over. I couldn't believe how well it worked! It's true, you don't have to be strong at all, unlike trying to lift soil with a spade. This digs down almost 10". and then you just pull the handles toward you, sort of like playing a slot machine, and it levers the soil right up. I went over the whole garden in 2 hours, and never broke a sweat. I recommend it to anyone.

It wasn't the only toy I was playing with, though. Bob, my gas engine guy, came by on Saturday and tuned up all my machines. He did the little rototiller I wrote about last year, but at the same auction in Winchester I'd picked up another, bigger rototiller, and I asked Bob to look at it. It had started when they were selling it, but I hadn't been able to start it when I got it home. It hadn't mattered, as it was the end of the season, so I put it in the garage until I could get Bob to see to it. He said it was very old, but it works just fine, and when he'd oiled it and cleaned it up, it was just fine. It's rusty and ugly-looking, but it starts like a dream, easier than my lawn mower. It also weighs a ton, but once we'd got it into the backyard and down to the garden, I had a blast digging up the gardens. I'm going to get Dean to help me get it out again this weekend, and go over the edges of the flower beds where the grass and weeds are encroaching; this monster will rip them out by the roots and then I'll put in a barrier to keep them out for good.

The hot weather has passed, and we're back to our more normal 14C today. It was very windy yesterday, and we had a 2-hour power failure in the evening. Fortunately, I was making a simple Almond Chicken, and was just combining everything to make the sauce when the lights went off, so the pan was still hot enough to make it work. James and Thomas were flummoxed at the total disappearance of their computer and TV pastimes. Dean tried to explain to James what had happened, and finally settled on "House broken," which satisfied him. Later on, we were out on the lawn, looking up at the dark windows, and he said, "House night!" I told him all the other houses had night too, but he didn't care about them; there is only ONE house that matters - his. Then he added "Poooooor computer!" When the power came back on, he immediately went to start the computer and told me, "Computer BEAUTIFUL! HURRAY!!!!!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Susan said...

Your gardening posts are so full of joy. Such Good Things to read. Thank you! They put me mind of Thomas Brown's lovely little poem, My Garden.

A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot!
Rose plot,
Fringed pool,
Fern'd grot--
The veriest school
Of peace; and yet the fool
Contends that God is not--
Not God! in gardens! when the eve is cool?
Nay, but I have a sign;
'Tis very sure God walks in mine.

And I am very sure He walks in yours.

9:14 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Aw, thank you!

I also like this poem, by Kipling:

Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees.
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!

9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home