Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Baked

That was me yesterday - I baked two apple pies, one pumpkin pie, and a big carrot cake. The apple pies were for a birthday at Dean's office. Emma was disappointed that we weren't going to get any, and I said that maybe Dad could bring home the leftovers. "There are never any leftovers when YOU bake something," she grumbled. I felt so good at that, I baked the carrot cake for her. The pumpkin pie was for Thomas, as it's the only pie he'll eat. People laughed at old Reagan when he counted "ketchup" as a vegetable, but I can sympathize with him, because we count pumpkin pie as a vegetable, one of the few Thomas will eat! (Along with ketchup.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Dr. M.,

You are absoltutely correct in counting pumpkin pie as a vegetable. I mean, sure, there's sugar and fat there, but pumpkin is also one of the world's best sources of Vitamin A. Also, since Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin, you actually need to ingest it with some fat in order for your body to absorb the vitamin. If I remember correctly, there's more Vitamin A in pumpkin that in carrots, so there you go!

Plus, have you ever eaten pumpkin plain? Ack.

Seriously, if I were you, I'd google pumpkin based recipes. You could make a pumpkin custard, which would basically be the pie without the pie shell, and I know there's pumpkin bread, but also I know I have had a pasta stuffed with a pumpkin based something at one point (like a ravioli or tortellini or something)and it was VERY GOOD. (I know it doesn't seem like it would be.)

Just my 2 cents.

The Big Seester

12:24 pm  
Anonymous Thuvia said...

Dr. Mabuse,

Have you seen this baking pans?

http://www.gildedfork.com/artisancorner/bakers-edge-306.html

http://www.bakersedge.com/details.html

Even though I'm not a baker, I'm tempted to buy them.

Thuvia

4:05 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

thuvia: Those pans are really quite nice! I've never seen them in shops, but Canada is often a bit behind the U.S. in getting the newest gadgets, so I'll watch for them. I'll bet they'd allow for faster baking times, and they'd eliminate one of my main problems - scorched edges because the cake isn't done in the middle yet, and has to stay in longer.

8:50 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home