Thursday, March 01, 2007

Waiting for Spring

I know it's only March 1, but after a week of temperatures painfully struggling towards the freezing mark, we're now bracing ourselves for a big overnight snowstorm. It's starting to feel like those songs and cartoons during the 30s, assuring us that good times are just around the corner, and "Old Man Depression you are through, you done us wrong!" Of course, Al Dubin and Harry Warren wrote "We're in the Money" in 1933, so there was quite a wait before the promises came true, and it appears that Spring is coming just as slowly. Dean is stuck in Minneapolis, where the airport is snowed in - he was supposed to get home today, but he'll be coming back tomorrow night, via Montreal instead of Chicago. That same snowstorm is going to be hitting us tonight and tomorrow, and I'll have to check the news first thing in the morning to see if school transportation is cancelled for the kids.

But there are signs that things are changing. Two days ago, I was out in the still snow-covered backyard with Yin, and I observed TWO pairs of courting cardinals flitting about in the trees. Emma reported having seen a bright yellow bird this week too - probably a chickadee. I noticed that a week ago, all I was hearing outside was the voices of crows and squirrels, but this week there is constant birdsong from little birds. The snow is retreating a few inches per day from the fence, though we're about to get a good half-foot of it again, so all the scraggy grass will be covered up again. Still, it MUST be coming soon!

I did my first drywall repair today, and I must say, for a first attempt, it doesn't look too amateurish. It's down near the floor, so it's not too visible. My problem is cutting the wallboard and the hole exactly to match; I had a bit of a gap on one side of a few millimeters. I'll have to get a drywall T-square, because I think my measuring lines weren't straight enough when I have to cut a large piece of board. I have to put a second coating of drywall compound on it tomorrow, as the first coat around the edges is just drying. Still, I have all the other tools I need, and now I think I'll try to fix a spot in the basement where we had to open the wall to allow a frozen pipe to thaw out. It's been bugging me ever since. Unfortunately, this hole is right up near the *ceiling* of the basement (kitchen pipe that came down into the basement and then straight out through the wall) so that will be an awkward spot to work. But if I can get the measuring done accurately, I think it will go quite smoothly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicholodeon said...

'C'mon along and listen to...the lullaby of Broadway...the bally hoo and hoopty doo...the lullaby of Broadway...'

Here in Winnipeg we have had a wonderful thaw for about two days, now frozen again and the icicles along the eaves are once more about three feet long...

We have a juge crow or two cawing around the still bare trees, but as we all know, crows are the harbingers of spring.

Now let's see...the Episcopalians are regrouping for another stab at taking the lead in contemporary liberal religious thought. The Anglicans should just cut them loose...they have never ever really been a viable part of Anglicanism and their misconstrued concepts of democracy and equality have served only to Americanise the faith.

But I have no business criticising them. For us Orthodox, 'the grace of God ceases to operate outside the canonical boundaries of Orthodoxy' at least according to the Synod of Bishops.

So I will return to listening to the crows call, and watching the icicles do their thing. And ponder the imponderable: does a stalagmite come from the bottom of the cave, and the stalactite from the top. Or is it the other way round?

8:43 pm  
Blogger who, me? said...

Even though our location in the SnowBird Belt is not in the winter big-leagues, by a long shot, it may be the length of days has something to do with spring. Lots of morning birdsong began last week, and just today I noticed redbud and other flowering trees.

And I too have a husband temporarily stranded in the Chicago airport tonight. Prayers for everyone to be home soon!

10:50 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Nich, Dean was considering a reroute through Winnipeg to get back to Ottawa, but he said it would have involved an 8-hour layover! I don't know why, but that seems to happen a lot when we consider flying through Winnipeg - maybe there aren't too many flights per day heading out east?

who me? - I hope your husband gets home ok! I've got my doubts about what will be the state of the airports in Montreal by this evening - they've got a lot of snow predicted, and the winds are terrible. That might end up causing even more delays, so I'm not making any big announcements to the kids about "Daddy's coming home tonight!" because I'm just not sure when he'll finally get to Ottawa.

8:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are the best of the best in Bongs with a beautiful accessories and we have the best service.
Be one of the ones that have the privilege to enjoy our Bongs.
we have all the ones that need to obtain not late more and contact us now.
Head Shop and Bong Amazing Legal Herbal Highs, featuring Herbal Smoke, Bongs,

7:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home