Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My collection

It's still cold and nasty out, so I thought I'd treat myself to a pick-me-up, and I got out my coffeepot collection to admire. Some of them had been getting a bit dusty, so I cleaned them off, then took a picture:

As you can see, I have 3 electric ones (back row), but I don't use them. About half of the others are for drip coffee - the early version of the Melitta filters we use today. I don't use those either, except just when I want to try one out. It's the percolators that have won my heart. The one we use every day is the one in the second row with the upcurved handle. It's a nice heavy weight of aluminum, made by Wear-Ever, and the handle is beautifully designed. There are also two Pyrex ones, and I have used them in the past, but I don't like having glass objects around all the time. James has broken a few Pyrex dishes and teapots, and I worry a bit about breaking the glass coffee basket insert myself, so these stay in the basement. The enamel one in the middle is a bit of an orphan - not aluminum like the others, and with a mismatched lid, but it was in a box lot with other stuff, so I kept it.

We used to have electric coffee makers like everyone else, but I found that they all burned out too quickly, no matter how expensive they were. And there were also problems with the filter getting blocked and overflowing, which was most annoying. Finally, we don't have that much counter space, and the coffee maker sat there all the time, taking up room. When our last one burned out a few years ago, in desperation I pulled out a vintage percolator that I'd picked up at an auction, and looked up instructions in an old cookbook of how to make perc coffee. It turned out great, and we've made coffee on the stove ever since.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Ah, as I sip my morning cuppa, what a nice way to start the day by reading about your coffee collection.

My grandmother had a sylex that she used. I recall watching it with fascination as a youngster. The water started out in top, dribbled to the bottom and then went back up again or something like that. It was all glass, and the coffee resided inside in a little glass box. Or did she boil it and the water went up and then perked down...I am an artist not an engineer.

In the logging camps we just boiled water, poured it over coffee in a big metal coffee pot, brought it back to the boil and then dropped an egg into it to collect the floaters and take them to the bottom of the pot. And then poured the brew into a tin cup. Ah.

Well, this comment has 'ground' to a halt...where have I 'bean' all these years...

11:52 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

That sounds like a percolator to me - it's pretty much the way the glass Pyrex ones work, only the water goes in first. Once it's boiling, I take it off the heat, put in the basket holding the coffee (glass, like your grandmother's), put the lid on, and put it back on the burner, first turning down the heat. The water starts boiling again, but this time it's forced up the "chimney" of the glass stand, comes out the top, hits the lid, and then splashes down onto the coffee, which drips into the water. Eventually, it all becomes coffee, strong enough to drink. You just let it perk longer if you want it stronger.

2:49 pm  
Blogger Mark Windsor said...

It's still cold and nasty out

75 degrees with a light westerly wind. Some puffy clouds out in the distance.

I'm gonna get banned for this, aren't I?

5:58 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

oooh, you...you...THING, you!

6:18 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home