Monday, March 12, 2007

Hinterland Who's Who



The Hinterland Who's Who commercials are something that must be embedded in every Canadian's DNA. When I hear that opening flute solo, I'm once again 5 years old in Edmonton, watching dull Sunday broadcasting on a black-and-white TV, at a time when we only had two TV channels - CBC and CTV.

These commercials are VENERABLE, so belief and acceptance are practically built-in. But when I saw (or rather, heard) this commercial on TV the other day, something seemed wrong. It was the line, "Human activities are threatening their habitat," coming after the introduction of the three featured species: The Barn Owl, The Swift Fox, and The Newfoundland Marten.

The Barn Owl.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

Even I know it's the barred owl, not the barn owl!!! And don't even live in Canada!

I did have a strange owl in my basement last year... I don't know what kind it was, but it was creepy. Very tiny. It was stuck to the wall going down the basement stairs. I thought it was some mouse/bat mutant. Until it spun it's head all the way around! Being American, I did not know what to do, so I ignored the problem, and it went away. I never found a deal owl, or an escape route. To this day, it is a puzzlement. But it was definitely an owl.

2:25 am  
Blogger Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

Make that "dead owl" not "deal owl"

2:32 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Not a barn owl? Hmm. I could have sworn she said Barn Owl - but it did seem strange that they could be endangered. Oh well, I can't get everything right. But an owl in the basement - that's strange. Maybe he went in there in search of mice?

10:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't Canada have something like 5 million square miles of land and about 30 million people to fill it? I don't think you all could drive out a single species if you tried to.

Isn't this just Canadian eco-pests trying to get in on some vicarious guilt?

Jeffersonian

12:34 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home