Sunday, March 11, 2007

Back to C.S. Lewis

I'm sorry to have to admit that I've given up on the Gormenghast books. They're just too slow for me. The descriptions go ON and ON, and to no particular purpose, as far as I could see. Maybe I didn't get far enough into them to realize the importance of a 2-page description of a wall, but I made it 3/4 of the way through 'Titus Groan' before I gave up. Everything was in such slow-motion, I began to wonder if the author had been on some mind-altering substance while writing it.

By contrast, I picked up C.S. Lewis's 'Out of the Silent Planet' and I was immediately pulled into the story, within the first 5 pages. I'll be starting 'Journey to Venus' tomorrow. I'm starting to feel like Hugo Weaving, who joked that he only makes movies in trilogies now - all my reading recently seems to be of trilogies, but this one promises to be a lot better than the last one.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent trilogy! Don't forget to get "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength."

12:35 am  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I just finished 'Perelandra', and am going to start 'That Hideous Strength' today. I have a vague memory of reading it once, long, long ago, when I was about 15. All I remember about it is Merlin.

9:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merlin does play a central role...I won't spoil the rest.

3:40 pm  
Blogger Ellie M said...

Oh, I am SO with you on both those points! I picked up a Gormenghast novel once and put it down again almost immediately. Lovely prose --unreadable book. Life's just too short for this kind of thing.

And my experience with the Lewis books was the same as yours: utter enchantment! They pulled me out of this world and into other ones filled with beauty and wonder. I still re-read them regularly, marveling at their craftsmanship. Lewis's prose was exquisite, but he also remembered to TELL A STORY.

10:41 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home