Sunday, February 18, 2007

What we need now is...a diversion!

This article in The Times breathlessly announces that a paper is going to published this year! Yes, that's it. There's really nothing else to report, but I guess I might as well tell you what they're saying is going to be IN the paper - a proposal that the Anglican Church and the Roman Catholic Church reunite. But I told you the real news right in the first sentence; the rest of it doesn't matter, they'll throw any old crap into the published paper and it won't make a bit of difference because it's pure fantasy.

But just for argument's sake, let's suppose there is a real possiblity of this actually happening. I think the agreement would be pretty straightforward:

A COVENANT FOR THE UNION OF THE ANGLICAN CHURCH AND THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

ARTICLE ONE:

The united churches will henceforth be known as THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

ARTICLE TWO:

The Head of the Roman Catholic Church will henceforth be known as THE POPE.

THE END


3 Comments:

Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Very clever. As a Russian Orthodox Christian I allow myself to be amused at what the Anglican ecclesial body is up to. If that EB were to unite with Rome (impossible?) what will happen to all those ladies who labour under the misconception that they are ordained female carbon-based units functioning as priests?

11:59 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Thank you, nicholai! I don't write about Orthodoxy because it's pretty much a foreign country to me, though I very much admire what I have seen. Dean knows more about it than I do. We have collected a number of Russian icons over the years - almost the only beautiful things we have left in the house, besides the quilts! I'll have to put up some pictures of them some day. Anyway, from what I can tell, the Pope is deeply interested in re-uniting Rome with the eastern Orthodox. The Anglican Church can hardly even be on the horizon, especially in its current decayed state, but they keep deluding themselves that they're very important. As the saying goes, "He's just not that into you."

9:48 am  
Blogger Nicholodeon said...

Alas, our more rabid monastics on Mt Athos sent a petition to Patriarch Varfolomey decrying the recent visit of His Holiness the Roman Pope to Turkey.

Our point of view is Rome cut herself off from 'The Church' back in 1054 or whenever but this believer feels union with Rome will be a blessing, indeed, if only to stave off intellectualism that has resulted in what you correctly discuss as the decline of Anglicanism in the west.

Intellectual conceits propounded by Anglicans and others include the notion that mystery is understandable, and what is not understandable has to be got rid of; so they limit their outlook according to their degree of intellectual understanding. And what they are left with today is what you see. Oh well, time to pause and give thanks for blessings.

Currently I am working on a book developing the thesis that language determines behaviour (I am also a linguist). The theory was debunked in the 1920s by 'scientists' limited to the scientific method, so-called.

Eeek. I will stop now, as I discover myself launching into a diatribe. Perhaps I should develop a blog on this topic.

Thanks for your postings; a godsend.

1:21 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home