Monday, February 19, 2007

The Grey Havens

It's a day of sadness for conservatives in the Episcopal/Anglican Church. In the last 24 hours, there were several quotes from 'Lord of the Rings' posted on different blogs, especially Aragorn's last address to his troops before the Black Gates, and Theoden's address to his men on the Pelennor Fields. But I think this is the quote that is most appropriate:
Then Elrond and Galadriel rode on; for the Third Age was over, and the Days of the Rings were passed, and an end was come of the story and song of those times. With them went many Elves of the High Kindred who would no longer stay in Middle-earth; and among them, filled with a sadness that was yet blessed and without bitterness, rode Sam, and Frodo, and Bilbo, and the Elves delighted to honour them.
Or as Sam put it more simply, right at the beginning of the book,
'They are sailing, sailing, sailing over the Sea, they are going into the West and leaving us.'

9 Comments:

Blogger Ellie M said...

A new Power is rising. Against it the old allies and policies will not avail us at all... This then is one choice before you, before us. We may join with the Power. It would be wise, Gandalf. There is hope that way. Its victory is at hand; and there will be rich reward for those that aided it."

2:04 pm  
Blogger David said...

Thing is, the Elves left Middle-earth after Sauron had been defeated. This feels more like the episode near the end of The Silmarillion, when Sauron insinuates himself into the counsels of Ar-Pharazôn, the king of Númenor, and convinces him to take up arms against the Valar.

3:45 pm  
Blogger LinnfromIA said...

"So," said Peter, "Night falls on Narnia. What, Lucy! You're not crying? With Aslan ahead, and all of us here?"
....
"Sirs," said Tirian. "The ladies do well to weep. See I do so myself. I have seen my mother's death. What world but Narnia have I ever known? It were no virtue, but great discourtesy, if we did not mourn."

3:46 pm  
Blogger Esther392 said...

But Dr. the light has shone and it is not so dark. The Primates decided to uphold Biblical Authority. The Episcopal Church USA has until 9/30/07 to decide if they are a Christian entity or not.

11:22 am  
Blogger Esther392 said...

Well guys for some reason this post ended up on the wrong post. I was trying to post to the thread on the Episcopal Church. Sorry...

11:23 am  
Blogger Esther392 said...

Okay that's weird now it is in the right place. Thing possibly those elves from middle earth have something to do with this?

11:25 am  
Blogger Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

Well??? We want you insights, as they are usually so insightful!

You're not going to hurt anyone's feelings if it's "you're still screwed."

10:40 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Oh, NBS, I haven't read the entire document yet! I keep meaning to do it, but I've been busy, and I haven't had time. And I get sleepy when I have to read long official documents on the computer. I'll see if I can find all the hope that other people are gleaning from it; all I've read so far is bits and pieces here and there, and I've got no sense of the whole. (I suspect you're still screwed, but maybe I'm wrong.)

6:22 am  
Blogger Ellie M said...

The reasserting faithful are relieved and thankful about this communique, which alone should tell you the essence of what it contains.

But I'm not in a celebratory mood. In fact I feel quite depressed. There is no vengeance so spiteful as that of the Champions of Tolerance when their political goals are thwarted. Make no mistake, faithful Anglicans, the backlash from this will be nastier than anything we've seen to date.

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home