Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ear problems

Apologies for being so dilatory in my postings. The truth is, I've been having some more health problems. Last week when I was sick, I think I must have been sicker than I realized. I've almost completely lost my hearing in my right ear. I suspect the sinus congesion ruptured my eardrum.

But fear not, you Americans. I am a beneficiary of Canada's Universal Health Care, so I will be going to see my doctor next Tuesday, to examine a problem that arose last week. In that time, I may even be able to regrow an eardrum, but if I don't, I can be put on the waiting list for one of these:
It's odd only hearing out of one ear. All the sounds come at me in an undistinguished mass, so I can't filter them out, and in this house, where you can have everyone talking with the TV and the computer both playing at top volume, that can be pretty confusing. I realized I was in trouble on Saturday, when I was listening to the end of Live from the Met on the car radio. They were playing various arias, and I couldn't distinguish the languages being sung! I tried as hard as I could, but I couldn't tell if it was German, Italian, Russian, or French. That was very weird. I couldn't disentangle the words from the music; usually I can tell which language is being used even if I don't understand the words, but not this time. That's not a problem if I KNOW the opera being sung, but it's still strange. I was listening to 'Tosca' this morning, and I was hearing almost everything in my left ear, but with a tiny shimmer of high violins in my right ear. I guess I've lost all the lower register, but can still barely hear the upper. I hope it clears up soon.

One positive aspect of it though, is that if I sleep on my left side, I can't hear Dean snoring at all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellie M said...

Sorry you're feeling poorly, Dr. M. Let us know how you're getting on.

6:36 pm  
Blogger Nasty, Brutish & Short said...

Oh that's sounds rough. I burst not just one, but BOTH of my eardrums SCUBA diving in Curacao in September. It is very painful. I heard a pop and then felt a big woosh. Then it happened in the other side. The rest of the trip my wife and I joked about how we were looking ahead 40 years. She'd say something, and I'd bellow "HUN? Whatdyasay?"

But the good news was that they both did heal on their own! My ENT said that they usually do, but not always. Watch out, though. Until they've healed the last thing you want is an infection.

11:05 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home