Thursday, January 18, 2007

Winter gardening - seed catalogues

I just put in my order to Dominion Seed House. It's cold and snowy outside, but we have the seed catalogues, and can daydream about the wonderful things we can grow this summer. It makes the 4 months until spring seem a little shorter.

I'm placing much the same order as last year, only this time we're going to grow 3 different kinds of potatoes: Chaleur, an early white variety, Chieftain, a red-skinned mid-season type, and a new sort (ordered from Eagle Creek Seed Potatoes in Alberta, called All Red. It's a late variety, with red skin and pink flesh! Here's a picture:

Potatoes are pretty cheap to buy at the grocery store, so if we're going to grow our own, it might as well be something that you can't find everywhere.

For the rest, it'll be the same Swiss Chard as last year, and carrots, though I'll plant them in a different spot, so I hope they'll get more sun this year. I'll be planting two types - a Rainbow Mix, which produces carrots of all sorts of shades between white, yellow, pink and orange, and (ta-da!) Purple Haze carrots! They're dark purple, with an orange center:
I've got to be honest, though; it's not in honour of Mrs. Schori. I've grown these for 3 years now. They're just like the purple carrots we used to get in India. But when I got the catalogue last month, I realized that the name was the same as the nickname Chris Johnson came up with.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

The pink potatoes are kind of neat, but the purple carrots are just weird!!! ;-) You had them in India - what were they like? Do they taste like regular orange carrots, or is there another flavor?

3:58 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yes, they taste just like regular carrots! They turn the water purple when you boil them, but they don't taste any different. The Indians also have a very red carrot, which is just slightly sweeter than a regular carrot - I found the seeds for that one year up here in Canada, but not recently. Sometimes these varieties don't grow so well in our climate, so maybe they try them out then discontinue them.

4:13 pm  
Blogger Ellie M said...

I'm still kinda freaked out by those purple cauliflowers that have been showing up in the supermarkets...

8:01 pm  
Blogger Kasia said...

Very interesting. I learn such amazing things in the blogosphere! (I'm very provincial about my vegetables...bok choi is about as exotic as I've gotten thus far.)

May I ask how you came to live in India? I've been wondering for a while...

12:05 pm  
Blogger Christopher Johnson said...

Nice part about this is, if we ever get tired of the nickname Purple Haze for Mrs. Schori, we've got a ready-made new one. Carrot Top.

3:13 pm  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

kasia - Oh, that was Dean's job that took us there (foreign service). We were assigned for 2 years, then stayed on for a third - big mistake. We were all sick all the time, and that third year really was brutal. We did come back with some nice rugs and some good stories, though.

10:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home